Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Twinkling lights line the ceiling and wrap around the wooden posts all throughout the wedding hall. The whole place looks like a fancy barn. Ivory-colored table cloths cover the wooden tables, and a matching ivory ribbon is tied to the back every chair. I remember Annie telling me a time or two that this look is 'in' right now. Rustic Chic she called it.

I glance over the centerpiece, a tall cylinder container with small candles floating inside it. Clever. I swipe up my beer and bring it to my lips, guzzling down a few sips before bringing it back to the table. My gaze swivels to the far side of the barn. Bennett's head is down as he messes with the buttons on the sound board.

There's a hoard of women dancing in the middle of the floor, and they scream as one hit song morphs into the next. This must be a popular one, because a few more kick off their shoes from the sidelines and join the rest. Their hips sway in rhythm to the deep bass reverberating across the wooden floor boards.

A few of them glance in Bennett's direction. Two even start pointing at him before giggling behind their hands. For once I can't say I blame them. Under the seductive lighting, the man looks delectable. Irresistible even. His tux coat has been removed, and his dress shirt is untucked. The sleeves are rolled up to his elbow, and the first few buttons are undone. It shows just enough skin to display the start of arguably one of the best bodies I've ever seen.

One of them shouts for him to take his shirt off mid-way through the song. He glances up at the woman spewing the drunken request. As always, his face is devoid of emotion, but a slow-burning smirk spreads across his lips before he moves his focus back down to his work.

His look is all that's needed for the woman to squeal in delight. Huh. Maybe I was wrong about Bennett's choice of profession. It's a job where he can stand back, be as unsociable as he'd like, and still manage to look sexy as fuck doing something he enjoys.

I tear my gaze away from him when I hear someone pulling the chair out next to me. A woman plops down on the seat, and her cleavage bounces at the movement. The glass of wine in her hand sloshes from side to side, and a few drops fall from the side and onto the wooden floor.

"Whoops," she mutters. "My bad."

She flicks her hair away from her shoulder and gives me an award-winning smile. I cock a brow in surprise and study her over. She's certainly attractive, hot enough that I'd remember if I met her before. Her smile falters slightly when she realizes I have no idea who she is.

"I'm Jessica," she says, placing her wine glass on the table. "We met at a party a few months ago?"

"Ah. Alright well you'll have to forgive me, Jessica. I've met quite a few people at parties. Lots of names, lots of faces. It's nice to meet you though...again."

She lets out a nervous laugh and takes another sip of her wine. "It's alright. You were pretty drunk that night. I only remember who you are because I was pretty sober. Well, that and we had sex."

I choke on my beer and it burns through my nose. I wipe away the remnants from my nostrils while trying to catch my breath. At my reaction she lets out another nervous laugh and waves off the awkward moment as best she can.

"It's ok," she says with a strained smile. "You're kind of known in our sorority for being a guy who only does the one-night stand thing. I knew what I was getting myself into."

I nod and glance her over again. Her bright eyes shimmer beneath the lights. She's wearing a black sequenced dress that's small enough to substitute as a koozie for my beer. Her chest is pushed front and center, and I allow myself a lingering moment to enjoy the view. If it's true I slept with her, I can't blame my drunken taste. She's hot.