Chapter 26

Chapter 26

I slam my bedroom door behind me. Jessica yelps at the sound. She's removed her dress, and her naked body has moved a few inches up my bed. My groin tightens at the sight, but it's not enough. Not after what happened in the hallway.

She frowns as I approach the bed, scooting to the side to make space for me.

"Is everything alright?" she asks.

"Yea." I hesitate, running my hands through my hair. "Actually, no. It isn't."

Jessica grabs for the blanket at the end of the bed and uses it to cover her torso. She chews on her bottom lip and glances up at me, waiting for more of an explanation.

"I'm sorry," I grit out after a stretch of silence. "But I think I'm going to call it a night."

"Why?"

I tighten my jaw, and my nostrils flare as I debate how to respond. I can't exactly tell her the truth. It'll sound ridiculous. 'Oh, yea. On my way to get a condom, my roommate threatened to kick me out if I had sex with you. I stood up to him, but now I'm so pissed I can't keep an erection. Care for me to call you a cab?'

I take a deep breath and shake my head. "All out of condoms."

Jessica visibly pouts. "Oh, that's all? Well, you could run out and get some. Or – "

"No."

Her eyes become clouded with confusion. "Alright..."

"I'll call you a cab," I say, hoping that'll be the end to the discussion.

The unused condom seems to weigh ten pounds in my pocket. I can no longer hear the noise from Bennett's room, but with my pulse thumping as loud as it is against my eardrums, I'm not sure I could anyway. And I'm glad for it.

Jessica covers her body while she reaches down to grab her dress and panties. I turn my back to her and give her a bit of privacy while typing in the number for the local cab company. She gets dressed in silence. I finish prattling off Bennett's address and slip my phone back into my pocket just in time to feel a gentle tap on my shoulder.

I turn around cautiously. Jessica stands on her tip-toes, pressing her lips against mine in a final attempt to get my attention. Her lips are soft and sweet, and the feel of her tongue is surprisingly soothing for the moment. She breaks away and sighs.

"I'd ask if you want my number, but I have a feeling I won't like the answer."

I meet her gaze but remain silent. She's right. She won't. The silent confirmation causes a sad, wistful smile to spread across her pouty lips.

"Well, you know where I live if you ever want to get ahold of me," she whispers, settling her hand against my chest. Then she laughs to herself and waves her hand through the air. "And if not, then I'll just hold out for another wedding."

I smirk and she smiles at my response. It's the first time tonight that it looks genuine. For a fleeting moment she doesn't just look like the hot chick I brought home from the wedding. She looks like a beautiful woman, too.

My hand curls around the handle of the door and I fish a twenty out of my wallet to pay for the cab fare. When I open the door, my heart slams against my chest. If Bennett's door is still open, he and that pansy ass of a man will see my date leaving far too early. He'll see it, and he'll probably grin with satisfaction as he continues to go to pound town on his date.

But my thoughts come to a screeching halt when I open the door. I don't see anything; his door is shut.

Oblivious to my internal anxiety, Jessica places a small kiss on the corner of my mouth and offers up a small pinky wave before tip-toeing down the stairs. I stand in the doorframe, unmoving and silent as I listen for her to collect her shoes and quietly walk out the front door. All the while I keep sending furtive glances towards Bennett's door.