Chapter 38

Chapter 38

Bennett's POV - Two Weeks Earlier

I jog the final stretch of my five mile run, my feet slapping the pavement in tempo with the music blaring against my eardrums. Weston's car is already in my driveway; he's early. I slow my pace as I walk towards the front door and lean against the doorframe to catch my breath.

Last night Weston texted me around midnight, informing me 'we needed to talk.' Most people would read a text like that and panic. It's the phrase that serves as metaphorical doom to just about every relationship. But unlike most people, I felt nothing. When I didn't respond, Weston sent a second text an hour later letting me know he'd be here by 8:00 a.m. today.

Beads of sweat trickle down my stomach and slip past the waistband of my boxers. It'll be another scorcher, and it's barely 7:30 in the morning. I wipe my arm across the middle of my forehead and step inside. The AC is cranked to full blast, and a chill slides down my torso at the sudden change in temperature.

When I round the corner to the kitchen Weston is already waiting for me – leaning against the counter with his arms crossed across his chest. A frown creases the middle of his brow. He doesn't bother with pleasantries. He simply stares at me, waiting for me to remove my earbuds.

I reluctantly pop out my earbuds and reach into the fridge for a bottle of water. "What's going on?"

"I might ask you the same thing."

I raise a brow.

"We've been together for two weeks now, Bennett," Weston mutters, dropping his gaze to the floor. "And in those two weeks, do you how many times we've slept together?"

Without giving me a chance to answer, Weston raises a hand in the air and makes a circle with his fingers. Zero.

"Do you know how many times we've sexually touched each other?" he asks, his voice rising. "Zero. How about how many nights we've even slept in the same bed? Oh wait, another zero."

He pushes himself off the counter and comes to stand a foot away from me. There's disappointment in his gaze, but more than that, there's frustration.

"Fuck, Bennett, I can't even remember the last time we kissed!"

That's because we haven't. I swallow down a few sips water, keeping my expression blank. When I give no reaction one way or another, Weston throws his hands up in the air in exasperation.

"And it's not like you don't have a sex drive, Benny. Before we started dating, you had a different college stud in your bed every other weekend."

I set my water bottle on the counter. "Get to the point, West."

My voice remains even and in control. I know what he's getting at; I'm not dense. I'm actually surprised he waited this long to broach the subject. Weston runs a hand through his hair, gingerly rubbing at the back of his neck.

"Two weeks ago I agreed to try a relationship with you, Bennett. I thought that it was because you had feelings for me." Weston pauses and his eyes collide with mine. "But you asked us to be together for a different reason entirely. Didn't you?"

I glare down at him with a challenging expression. Weston knows I'm not a fan of these types of conversations that would otherwise be classified under 'emotional.' Most of them are just a fuckin' waste of time.

Weston grunts under his breath and shakes his head, expecting this response. "Three weeks ago everything was the same as it always has been. But the second we were together, everything changed."