Chapter 57

I am so excited for you to read this chapter! JUST READ IT NOW ;)

------------------------------------

"Have you seen Courtney?" Alyssa asked, trying to sound as casual as possible as she glanced over at Kayla. It wasn’t that she was worried, just... curious. She had been expecting her to have planned some lavish, over-the-top entrance, but the dance was already in full swing and there was no sign of her.

Kayla shook her head, before taking a sip of her drink. "Nope."

"Oh." Alyssa frowned slightly, her head turning so she was able to scan the room. It was difficult to make out people’s identity in the dense crowd, but it was likely that Courtney would be wearing some extravagant dress that would make her stand out. However, she was nowhere to be seen, and Alyssa was keen to find out why.

At that moment, she noticed Carter stroll in through the entrance doors, his hands shoved deep inside his trouser pockets as he sauntered in coolly. He was looking more tanned than before, and his messy blonde hair was spiked up slightly more than usual. Despite this, there was no hiding the fact that there was a distinct lack of a dark-haired bitch on his arm.

"Why is Carter alone?" Kayla asked, voicing Alyssa’s thoughts.

"I have no idea..." Alyssa said, her brows furrowing even more than before. "But I’m about to go find out."

Before Kayla could say anything more, Alyssa had taken off in his direction, and by the time she realised her friend was gone, she was already halfway across the room.

"Hi, Carter," Alyssa said casually, smiling innocently at him as she approached. Despite the fact that they hadn’t been on speaking terms since she had found out about him and Courtney, her tone of voice implicated that they were still good friends.

Carter looked slightly wary, but his cool exterior didn’t fade. "Hey."

"Long time no speak, right?" A dazzling smile was flashed in his direction. "How have you been?"

"Alright. Much better now, though."

"And why’s that?"

Carter laughed slightly, although the reason behind this was unclear. He shot another knowing smile at Alyssa. "I think you can guess."

"Something to do with Courtney?" Alyssa didn’t care about how blunt she was being. She was intrigued to find out why the inseparable pair were now without each other.

"Yeah. Let’s just say things weren’t working out between us."

"Oh, right."

Carter nodded slightly in her direction, seemingly oblivious to the strange conversation that they were sharing. Maybe it was the atmosphere in the room, as everyone seemed to be more relaxed and at ease than usual. "Listen, I’ve got to go and talk to someone. Maybe I’ll see you later."

"Okay," Alyssa agreed, content with the information that she had received. "See you."

She watched Carter’s back as he made his way into the crowd of people, all moving in time to the beat of the dance music that was booming through the speakers. So Carter and Courtney were over... her lips formed a satisfied smirk as she began to digest this new information. She couldn’t help but wonder if Courtney would actually make an appearance, now that she was alone. To discover that, she would just have to wait and see.

She headed back in the direction she came from, where Kayla was still standing.

"Come on," she said to her friend, raising her voice in order to be heard. "If this is going to be my last dance here before I get shipped off to some shitty English school, then I at least want to enjoy it."