Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Elle

       “I’m back!” I sang, banging the door shut behind me with my foot.

       “In the kitchen!” John yelled.

       “Making me a sandwich?” I asked.

       “Yes, Elle, that’s exactly what we’re doing,” Nick answered. I rushed into the room, and saw the two of them with beers in their hands.

       “What the hell? Isn’t that illegal!” I said, my eyes bulging at the two brown bottles they were holding.

       “Wow, for someone entering the field of law shouldn’t you know?” Nick teased, taking a sip.

       “Who said anything about me becoming a lawyer?” I asked innocently.

       “Oh come on, Elle! What else are you going to be?”

       “You have a point, but I have been looking into journalism...” I admitted.

       Law can be boring. The cases are interesting and you’re helping people, but as a whole it sounds boring to me. I want to do something fun! I don’t know why, but for some reason journalism sounds like it would be a good fit for me... I can’t do anything in the medical feild, because that involves knowledge of the sciences, something I unfortunately lack. Science was never my thing. I’ll probably end up becoming a lawyer, but everybody needs options. 

       “Journalism? Elle Paterson a journalist? Really?” Nick laughed, drinking yet another swig of beer.

       “You never know. Law does pay better so...” I said.

       “Yes it does,” John said, also taking a mouthful of the brown alcohol.

       “How about you guys get rid of the beers, and never drink them again?” I suggested, starting to get nervous.

       “Elle, it’s fine, we’re not getting drunk… yet,” John said.

       “Oh good, that’s really reassuring. But really guys? The legal age is twenty-one, you two can wait,” I said, looking at them in disgust.

       “No, I don’t think we can,” Nick said, gulping down a large portion of what was left in the bottle.

       “Okay, fine. Become an alcoholic, like I care if you two ruin your lives. I mean, jail won’t be the worst of your problems; no- it’s your parents who you should be afraid of.”

       “Our parents are the ones who got us the beer,” John said.

       “Why?” I asked.

       “Because they think we can ‘handle it’. Suckers!” Nick laughed.

       “Nick Ross, take that bottle away from your mouth now!” I said, not wanting to have two drunken boys on my hands. I don’t think I’m qualified to deal with that type of situation.

       “Make me,” he challenged, smirking at me. Ugh! That asshole! 

       “Fine,” I said, walking straight over to him, and attempting to grab the bottle out of his hand. He quickly moved the bottle away from me, so it was well above my head. Man I hate his height!

       “Cheater!” I accused.

       “Not my fault I’m tall, and you’re not,” he said, smiling.

       “Yes, it is!” I said, jumping up to reach the bottle, in a failed effort.

       “Oh Elle,” he said, lowering the bottle, and engulfing me in a hug before I could grab it, “Height is yet another thing that’s not accidental.” I knew there was a hidden meaning behind his words, but didn’t feel like figuring it out.