Chapter Thirty-Six

Chapter Thirty-Six

Elle

We walked into the restaurant, my head spinning every which way. There were delectable aromas wafting from every corner of the building, indulging my nose in sweet delights. It was a classy place, one like I had always imagined my parents and their friends dining at. Sure, I had been to places like this before, but there was something about this place in particular that stood out to me.

       Scattered about the restaurant were circular tables filled with opulently dressed people, conversing and drinking aged wine that probably cost more than rent for a small apartment. Each table had a set of timeless china, the white dishware having thin brushstrokes of gold bordering it. The silver utensils looked grand and fitting for a place of this standing. Ivory tablecloths with intricately placed flowers enveloped the tables, cloaking them in a presence of dignity. Candles were placed on each table, adding yet another layer of elegance to the room. It was surreal to be standing in the doorway, with my boyfriend.

       Jake and my attire suited the establishment to perfection. He had on a simple, yet tasteful, black suit, with a blue collared shirt underneath. On his feet were black shoes that glistened in the light. He looked… flawless. I, on the other hand, was wearing a dress the color of blood.

       The neckline scooped into a low V, but wasn’t too deeply cut to appear vulgar. The fabric was scrunched up to create an effect Kara had called “ruched”, and was of a soft material- silk, I imagine. The hem hit right above the knees, and it was sleeveless, though remained utterly refined.

       Kara and I had picked it up on one of our outings in New York. She told me the dress was made for me, and that the silhouette was too good and original to pass up. Standing here, now, with Jake by my side, in the dress, proved that her assessment was indeed, accurate.

       “What do you think?” Jake asked, nudging me.

       “It’s everything I could ever dream of,” I sighed, as he placed an arm around my shoulder.

       “Really?”

       “Yeah. It’s perfect, Jake, and so are you,” I said, turning to give him a kiss on the cheek. We walked up to the hostess’ podium, and waited briefly before a girl with slicked back hair in a tight bun arrived. On her body lay a stunning black dress, the simplicity and sophistication upstaging about half the flashy dresses that were being worn in the room.

       “Your dress is gorgeous,” I blurted out. I had to say something; it was one of those occurrences that if one didn’t speak up, they’d regret it later, replaying the moment, and wondering what would happen if their mouth had worked correctly.

       “Thank you,” she said, blinking, as the sides of her mouth twitched slightly in the upward direction. “Do you two have a reservation?”

       “Yes, I believe it’s under Anderson,” Jake said, as the girl checked.

       “Of course,” she smiled at him in a knowing manner. “Right this way.”

       We were led to the back of the restaurant, past others dining peacefully, until we stopped at a table in what appeared to be the back of the restaurant. It was in a secluded area, separate from the rest. There was something odd about our placement, but I didn’t mention it.

       Jake pulled out a chair for me, and I sat down, allowing him to push the chair in like the chivalrous gentleman he was. He went around to his side, and sat down. Menus were already at our place settings, and the hostess was hovering over us, discreetly asking Jake something as if I hadn’t noticed. He nodded, and she left us.