Chapter Twenty-Eight

Nick

       “What’s for breakfast?” Elle asked, entering the once serene kitchen and adding a level of unneeded strain to it. She was still dressed in her pajamas, showing no indication of caring what she looked like. An oversized, Harvard T-shirt hung loosely off her shoulders, and black sweats occupied her bottom half. Her hair was in a messy ponytail, and she looked relaxed.

       “Bacon,” Jordan answered, as he shoveled a piece of the crispy meat into his mouth.

       “I’m a vegetarian,” Elle stated bluntly, walking past the table her brother and I were seated at.

       “Since when?” I laughed, noting that Elle was really rocking the whole “higher education” apparel, as I saw the name of our dear university printed across her butt.

       “Weren’t you just eating turkey… yesterday?” Jordan questioned, chomping on another piece of the crunchy food.

       “Since then, I decided that eating animals was cruel, unhealthy, and wrong,” she explained, grabbing a banana from the counter in the still cluttered kitchen, and joining us at the table in the corner of the room.

       “Of course you did…” Jordan muttered, rolling his eyes at his sister’s rather rash decision.

       “Well, since last night I too have made a very important life decision,” I said, stepping into the conversation before more pressure could be added to the room.

       “What would that be?” Elle asked, sitting down next to Jordan.

       “I’m going to become a drug dealer,” I said seriously, studying the two’s expressions. Jordan burst out laughing, and Elle was trying to keep a straight face and remain calm.

       “So, you want to be a pharmacist?” Elle inquired, peeling off the yellow outer casing of her fruit.

       “Yeah,” I nodded.

       “I’m sure Dean and Danni would be very proud of you,” Jordan snorted.

       “Think it pays well?” I asked to no one in particular.

       “Stick to the surgeon plan,” Elle sighed, rolling her eyes as she mindlessly brought up one of my previous life goals I had shared with her long ago.

       “And you should stick with the attorney route,” I said, dropping a reference from the same conversation.

       “Did I honestly just do that?” Elle yawned, turning to look at me, as she inserted the banana into her mouth, biting down.

       “It’s okay Elle, you’re tired, and no one can expect you to erase all wonderful memories out of your mind,” I shrugged, about to eat my own piece of bacon, when I suddenly stopped.

       “Dude, eat the bacon,” Jordan said, noticing that I had stopped eating the delectableness that was dead pig.

       “So, Elle, you’re serious about being… a vegetarian?” I gulped.

       “Yup,” she nodded, taking another bite of her banana.

       “Well then, so am I,” I stated, surprising everyone at the table including myself.

       “Nick, what are you saying?” Jordan asked, seriously concerned.

       “If Elle’s going to go a while without eating meat, then so am I,” I said, unsure of exactly what I was doing.