Chapter Forty

Chapter Forty

Elle

      “Mother, please, don’t!” Nick begged, shuddering as his mother continued to speak.

      “Anyways,” Danni continued, ignoring her son’s protests, “he kept his diaper off for the entire day! It was so funny!” Laughter erupted from my mouth as she concluded the story on a light, humorous note.

      “In an insanely adorable, sexy way,” Nick quickly added to counter her demoralizing words.

      “Of course,” I scoffed.

      “I’m just so happy to see that you two are back together again,” Danni smiled sweetly, gazing happily at the pose the two of us had landed in: I was seated on Nick’s lap, his arms encircling my waist, and holding me tight.

      “Together, mom, just together,” Nick correctly her, squeezing me tighter if possible, for fear that I would slip out of his grasp.

      “Oh no,” she addressed me, “Elle, sweetie, he’s calling me ‘mom’. Can you check his forehead; make sure he’s not sick?”

      “I’m not sick, Danni!” Nick whined.

      “Ah, that’s better!” she sighed gratefully.

      Nick and his parents had an interesting relationship with one another. If you saw his parents on the street, and had no clue who they were, they would look like your average, uptight, American adults. But if you stopped to talk to them for about thirty seconds, that first impression would be erased instantly.

      Dean and Danni’s exteriors were that of the normal, American, stereotyped husband and wife in their late forties. For the most part, the description fit Dean fairly well. He owned some business that my least favorite Ross son would eventually inherit. I didn’t know him too well, but from what I could gather, he was a proper, nice, polite individual, who went along with the majority of things his wife wanted.

      Then, there was Danni. She was an interior designer, and wore heals no matter the weather or occasion. Danni was the type of person that had so much charisma and presence that people were drawn to her and couldn’t resist talking to her. She was also the type of person that insisted everyone to call her by her first name, even her sons (something about feeling young). As parents went, Danni was pretty cool.

      “Why are you even here?” Nick complained.

      “Because I love you both and wanted to start talking about the floor plan for the baby’s nursery,” she said seriously.

      “What baby?” Nick and I questioned at the same time.

      “That is so cute!” she commented.

      “What baby?” Nick reiterated.

      “The one that you’re having, of course!”

      “Fuck. Elle, I thought you weren’t pregnant?!” Nick fretted, twisting to face me.

      “I’m not!” I said, my heart rate increasing as the topic of pregnancies arose. I wasn’t exactly the biggest fan of babies or anything having to due with children at the moment due to the little scare a couple weeks back.

      “Nick! Language!” Danni scolded. “And you, young lady, what about being pregnant?”

      “Nothing, Danni, I swear, it was a mistake and a misunderstanding you don’t need to know about,” I said quickly.