Chapter Twenty-Nine

Chapter Twenty-Nine

Elle

       “Kara and you make a really cute couple,” I stated to the boy whose legs were placed on top of my own.

“Uh huh,” he grunted.

       “John!” I whined, not liking that he was so consumed in his computer screen to barely even respond to me.

       “What, Elle?” he sighed.

       “I’m bored,” I said.

       “Good for you,” he yawned.

       “Johnny! I want to do something!”

       “Okay Elle,” he slapped the top of his laptop down, closing it, “what do you want to do?”

       “I don’t know!” I complained.

       “Do you want to Starbucks and say hi to Blake?” he questioned, removing his feet from my lap.

       “Yeah!” I said, hoping that Blake had the answers to cure my boredom. It was one of those days that there was absolutely nothing to do. It was a Saturday, and I had already finished any homework I had been assigned over the past week.

       I hopped up off of the couch, taking John’s hand and dragging him along with me. “Geez, Elle! What are you trying to do, pull my whole fucking arm socket out?” he exclaimed.

       “Yes, John, that happens to be my goal in life.”

       “I’m back! Who missed me?” Nick yelled, coming in through the door, sweat dripping off every visible part of his body. Gross.

       “No one,” I retorted.

       “Lies, lies, lies!” he shouted, heading straight over to the stairs, hopefully on a mission to take a shower.

       “You look gross,” I observed before he had the chance to leave.

       “Intense football practices happen to do that to people,” he called, running up the steps. Right! He was playing football! It all made sense now! I vaguely remember him leaving at some insane hour (eight o’clock… in the morning), shouting that he was “Out for a few hours, homies.”

       “He’s annoying,” I commented.

       “Yes, yes he is,” John agreed.

       “Let’s get out of here,” I exhaled, trotting over to the door.

       Easily, I twisted the knob of the door, pulling it back, about to exit when someone screamed, “Surprise!” I jumped back in shock, and was then taken even more aback when the attacker engulfed me in a caring hug. “Elle!”

       “Jake,” I said stiffly, hating the fact that he had indeed stunned me. I hate being caught off guard; it’s one of those things that get me paranoid.

       “And Lexie,” a chirpy voice added, as a lean girl adorned in a light pink dress walked in without so much as an invitation.

       “Hi,” I said coldly, not liking the girl one bit.

       “Hello,” she greeted, equally as warmly.

       “So, what are you guys doing here?” John asked, sensing the tension between Lexie and I.

       “Well, I came to chill with my wonderful girlfriend who I heard had a severe case of boredom,” Jake said, letting his arms drop from my frame.