Chapter Twenty-Six

Chapter Twenty-Six

Elle

       “I love you,” he said, kissing the top of my head.

       “I love you too,” I said, turning to look up into his deep, brown eyes that I could easily lose myself looking into.

       “You’re amazing, Elle,” he stated genuinely.

       I interlaced our fingers together before replying, “So are you, Nick.”

       He put his hands on my waist, and brought me in closer. I glanced up at his lips, so pink and soft. A smirk made its way across his face as his mouth hovered over mine. I moved my face nearer to his so our lips connected and-

       “Elle!” someone said distantly.

       Slowly, my eyes fluttered open, and I lifted my head off of a hard surface to my side. Rotating my head, only then did I realize that I had been resting my head on Nick’s shoulder. Never. Again.

       “Have a good dream?” he asked smugly, as if he knew the contents that filled the vivid nightmare. How could he? I didn’t talk in my sleep, did I? Of all the things, why did I have to dream about Nick? Gross.

       I read on the Internet once that your dreams reflect the last thing that you were thinking about before you go to sleep. If that article was true, then somehow my intense hatred for the boy to my left was translated into… love. Why couldn’t I have thought about something like bunnies before I fell asleep? Why did I have to be worrying about Nick?

       “We’re about to land,” he told me, pointing to the small and oval window to my right. All I saw were clouds and a stream of bright light.

       “Oh,” I yawned, covering my mouth.

       “So, where’s Mr. Perfect right now?” he asked.

       Though I was in no mood to talk to him, I politely responded, “With his grandparents in-”

       “Phoenix,” he finished for me.

       I shook my head, hating the fact that Nick knew close to every aspect of Jake’s life because of their relationship growing up. “He got in late last night,” I informed him, thinking back to the parting words I had shared with Jake via a phone call.

       “Yeah, I think I went down there with Phillip one year,” he said, as I gazed out the window, rivers resembling snakes coming into view. I was almost home.

       “Mhmmm…”

       “Attention passengers, attention passengers, we will be landing shortly so please make sure your buckle is securely on and all electronic devices are turned off at this time,” a perky voice boomed through speakers of the plane.

       “You’re cute when you’re sleeping,” Nick said, beginning to flip through one of the safety manuals for what to do if the plane were to crash.

       “You’re annoying when you’re awake,” I fiercely fired back, his presence irritating me. Nick simply breathing had the effect of irking me.

       “And, as we both know, I look like an angel when asleep,” he said cockily. An arrogant, sixteen-year-old voice belonging to Nick ran through my head, stating close to the same thing. He had told me this before. I smiled, amused at how big this boy’s ego truly was.

       “I beg to differ, but I wouldn’t want to think back to those memories,” I said, as I felt the plane slightly drop vertically.

       “Oh, you mean the ones of seeing me sleep?” he questioned, a devilish smirk the expression he had chosen to occupy his face.