Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

Elle

“Elle!” someone called as I skipped down the cool, shaded steps of the building I was exiting.

“Jake!” I said, rushing over to him, as he swept me into a hug. “What are you doing here?”

“Am I not allowed to come over to the crimson side?” he asked, as we released from the hug.

“Funny. Crimson’s an ugly color,” I stated. I don’t like it. It’s in between red, and brown, and just gross.

“Well, get used to it, because that’s your color for the next four years,” he said, as I took his hand, and began to walk down the red brick pathway.

“No, it’ll be seven years,” I corrected him.

“Seven?” he questioned.

“Yeah, because it’ll be three more years for law school.”

“Harvard law? You seriously want to go to Harvard law?”

“Why not? It’s the best in the country.”

“Okay,” he sighed, as we came to the end of the straight path, and up to the street. “So what class are you coming from?”

“Some math one,” I said simply. I don’t like math. I never have, and I never will. I have the ability to do it, I would rather not.

“Fun,” he said, as we ran across the street while there were no cars.

“Eh. What about you, what classes have you had today?” I asked.

“A depressed literature one, a lab, and one about the city and the environment,” he answered.

“Cool.”

“So, you hungry?” he asked, picking up our pace, probably without even realizing it.

Like all the boys in my life, Jake’s an athlete. His main sports are football and baseball, but somehow he has recently acquired running. Almost every time I text him, he’s running. It’s so weird, but whatever makes him happy, I’m fine with.

“Sure,” I said.

“What are you in the mood for?” he asked.

“Food.”

“What type of food?” he prompted.

“I don’t know. Edible?”

“Elle! Please, just give me a real answer.”

“Some place outside,” I said. It was another gorgeous day out. The sun was shining radiantly, and the sky was an electric blue color. It was perfect out.

“Fine. Do you want a wrap or something?”

“Sure,” I said, swinging our hands back and forth.

“Okay then.” We turned on a corner, and entered a street lined with stores. We continued to walk, passing by other pedestrians distracted by forms of technology, or everything going on around them.

“Here?” Jake asked, stopping by a small café with a seating area outside.

“Okay,” I said.

“So, how about I go in, and you get seats?” he suggested.

“Sure,” I said, as he kissed me on the cheek lightly, and retreated into the unknown terrain of the cute restaurant.

I opened a short gate, separating the sidewalk and the rounded tables belonging to the café, and stepped in. I saw a circular table for two in the back, and walked over, sitting down in one of the chairs. I let the backpack I had been carrying drop to the ground, and pulled out my phone, checking for any new messages.