Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

Elle

      “I don’t want to be here!” Kennedy whined, tapping ferociously on her phone.

      “Well Bella does, which is why we’re here,” I retorted, watching the little girl cover Nick with woodchips and sand in the distance.

      “She’s stupid, and I don’t get why Jack and I couldn’t have stayed back at the house!” she complained, her expression changing from mad to amused as she read something that had popped up on her small screen.

      “Because,” I said, standing up from the bench.

      “Where are you going?” she questioned.

      “To go talk to your brother,” I said, walking away from her. Jack was sitting down on a bench at the other side of the park, and, like his sister, also texting. I went up, and sat beside him.

      “Hey,” I said.

      “Hi,” he said, not looking up from his phone.

      “Who are you texting?”

      “A friend.”

      “Does this friend have a name?”

      “Landon,” he answered, continuing to type about.

      “So, what’s your story?” I asked, tapping my foot on the woodchips of the park.

      “I’m the quiet one. My parents think I’m antisocial, and sometimes emo,” he said, laughing lightly.

      “Are you?”

      “No. I’m not really into verbalizing my thoughts,” he said, shaking his head at something that had appeared on his screen.

      “Oh. So, do you guys go to public school?” I asked.

      “Heh. Funny,” he said, not looking up at me.

      “I was being serious…” I said, not liking that fact that I was being half ignored.

      “Do we look like we go to a public school?” he questioned. He was wearing a pair of jeans, which, from the looks of them, were brand new, and a simple T-shirt with the iconic polo rider in the corner. I then looked down at his shoes. Yeah, these kids probably don’t go to public school…

      “Guess not,” I said, not pleased with the attitude he was showing me. “So, you hate it?

      “Yup,” he said apathetically.

      “So did Nick and I,” I shared, as nostalgic thoughts resurfaced about those dark times. It was very much apart of me, and there was no escaping it, though coming here, to college, I thought that I may be able to elude all ties with those dismally preppy institutions.

      “You went to private?” he asked, perking up, and looking up at me for a second, before returning to the world of texts and tweets.

      “Yeah… But on the bright side, I turned out only partially damaged!” I said, smiling.

      “Well that’s reassuring,” he said, shaking his words as if my words were nonsense.

      “I know.”

      “So, is that dude your boyfriend?” he pointed over to Nick, who was now completely covered in sand, thanks to Bella’s trusty shovel. I think I like that kid; covering Nick in sand, yeah, she seems like a good kid.