Part 11

Chapter 10 - Scott

Scott cursed under his breath as he pulled up to the neighborhood Sam had disappeared too. Why hadn't the woman just asked for help? If the garbage on the streets and the shady people standing on the sidewalks were any clue, then this wasn't a place a woman should be alone, especially not one as beautiful as Sam.

"Where exactly do I need to go?" he asked Max.

Max turned towards him, a large smile on his face. "Where do we need to go?" he asked, stressing that Scott wouldn't be going on his own.

Narrowing his eyes at the man, who obviously thought the situation was amusing seeing as his lips twitched in the corners as if he was trying to keep a smile at bay, Scott made an impatient gesture. "Get on with it. Where are we supposed to go?"

"Park right there," Max commanded, pointing to a shady parking spot with a group of boys standing nearby.

Although he didn't want to listen to Max, Scott wanted to find Sam even more. Easing into the spot, he thrust it into part before jumping from his seat. The door locked behind him, but he doubted it would keep any of these boys from stealing the car.

"Max!" one of the boys shouted with a smile.

Scott stood there, watching as Max bumped fists with a few, did an intricate handshake with a couple others before stepping back with a smile. "Miss C got herself into some trouble. Keep an eye on my friends ride for a few? It'll be worth your time."

Max pulled out his wallet, flashing two fifties at the boys. Who even carried fifty-dollar bills? The boys all shook their heads, sending Scott's heart plummeting. It was final; when he returned, the only thing that would be left of his car would be the horrid bumper sticker his mother put back there.

"Nah, man," one of the boys said before another continued.

"You don't have to pay us for helping Miss C. She's the closest thing we have to a parent. Go ahead, Max, we'll watch the car."

Max nodded, pocketing the money before taking off in a run. Scott went to follow, but one of the boy's stepped into his path. "Look, I don't know who you are, but if you hurt Max, you'll wake up with a horse's head in your bed."

"The Godfather?" Scott mumbled while taking a step back from the kid.

"I read," the boy said with a shrug. That was when Scott recognized the boy.

"Hey, you're the kid at the library!"

"Hey," the boy replied in a sarcastic tone, "you're the jerk who stole Miss C's coffee. Wait; are you here for Miss C or Max? You look a little too clean, so my guess is Max."

"I-"

"Stop stuttering," the boy said, jerking a thump over his shoulder. "Whoever you're here for, you have about ten seconds to get your butt over there before you get lost. Believe me, this is not a neighborhood you want to get caught in by yourself."

No other prodding was needed for Scott as he ran in the same direction as Max had taken off in minutes earlier. The only problem was that the man was no longer in sight. Shrugging, he kept running, hoping that a sign would show up. Luckily, that sign hit him in the chest, sending them both toppling onto the dirt-covered ground.

Looking up, he smiled. "Fancy running into you here."

Sam smiled down at him, not moving an inch. "What are you doing here?"

"Looking for you," he answered, reaching a hand up to brush the hair out of her eyes.

Her smile widened as she opened her mouth. "Enough of the lovey dovey shit; I need to find my sister."

"That wasn't you, was it?" he asked, confused when the voice came out very male. Someone lifted her from his body, and he knew they weren't alone. Looking up at his friend, Scott held his hand out for help up. "What's up, Graham?"

"Just helping our little lady," Graham answered, dunking when she took a swing at him.

"Enough," someone growled, bring Scott's attention to the new member of their crew.

Scott took a step forward, narrowing his eyes in concentration. "Do I know you from somewhere?"

"Yes," the man mumbled with a sigh, "but later. We need to find Bethany, now."

Sam reached out, grabbing both his and Graham's hands as she pulled them down the dark sidewalk. Cutting his eyes towards Graham, he wiggled his eyes and pointed down at their linked hands. Graham laughed before leaning over slightly. "Told her I was afraid of the dark, something she must think we have in common."

As soon as the words left his mouth, Sam dropped Graham's hand with a glare over her shoulder. Scott's buddy just shrugged with a large smile on his face. "Can't blame a guy for trying."

"It's right here," the still unknown man shouted as he ran up a walkway to an older house. Not even bothering with a knock, the man's foot came up and kicked. They all blinked, Graham letting out a laugh as nothing happened, the door was still very much on its hinges.

It opened a little, revealing Max's face. The man smiled at them all before opening the door. "Come on in."

They entered, Sam's hand still tightly holding onto Scott's. As they entered, a loud bang echoed the room; something fell on his head, making him jump in fright.

"Surprise!" a room full of people screamed as confetti streamed down on them.

"It's your birthday?" Graham asked, hurt in the man's voice.

Sam stood there, shock on her face as a healthy Bethany stepped forward with a smile. Holding her hand out, Scott noticed the money in her hand. "For being the best librarian ever."

Sam shook her head before turning towards Graham. "It's National Librarian Day."

He let out a laugh, followed by Graham and Max. As the entire room began their mini party to celebrate Sam's job, Scott shook his head at her while she chatted with a crew of different people. She really was amazing.