Part 18

Chapter 17 - Graham

Graham watched Scott listen to Sam's words with such adamant interest that he knew his plans would work, that his idea was the right one.  It was for their own good, he told himself.  His friends were too stubborn to see the truth, and slowly, he would show them what they were missing. 

Feeling someone's eyes on him, he turned to look at Max.  The man narrowed his eyes at him before leaning closer.  "What are you planning?" he whispered.

"Nothing," Graham immediately replied, only realizing his mistake when Max's expression turned more suspicious.

"If you hurt Sammy," Max growled under his breath, "I'll kill you."

Graham laughed, but when Max's expression didn't turn amused, his laughter died down.  "You mean that, don't you?"  Max nodded, but didn't say a word. "Look," Graham mumbled as Scott laughed at something Sam said.  "I would never hurt her.  I have their best interests at heart.  If anything were to happen to either of them, I couldn't live with myself.  Do you understand?  They're the best friends I've ever had."

"Even Sam?" Max asked as he leaned away from Graham.

He nodded.  "Even Sam.  It's only been a couple of days, but she's so nice.  How could someone not want to be her friend?"

Max's eyes left Graham to study Sam.  "That's the problem," Max started.  "She's so damn nice, everyone loves her.  My job would be easier if she wasn't."

"Your job?"  Graham asked, completely confused. 

"What?" Max mumbled absentmindedly as his eyes stayed on Sam and Scott.

Clearing his throat, he waited until Max looked his way before speaking.  "You said it would make your job easier.  What exactly is your job?"

Max hesitated before an easy smile crossed his face.  "You're taking my words too literal.  What I meant is that I look after her, have always looked after her.  With her being so nice and having so many people around her, it's hard to make sure the bad ones don't hurt her."

Graham kept eye contact with Max as the man spoke.  There was just something about him that Graham couldn't put his finger on, and when he finally thought he understood it, Max dissuaded his thoughts.  Maybe he was just overreacting.  He had a habit of blowing things out of proportion.  Just in case though, he leaned closer to Max.  "If you hurt her," he whispered, "I'll kill you."

Max smiled as if it were a joke, but Graham kept his expression blank for once. 

"You're serious?" Max echoed the words Graham used earlier.

Graham nodded.  "I have family that gains their money in not so legal ways.  I'm not afraid to call on them if you're planning to do something to either Sam or Scott.  I told you once, and I'll tell you again.  They are my best friends, and I won't let you do anything to them."

Max blinked before respect entered his eyes.  "They're lucky to have you."

"I know," Graham said, lightening the mood.  "What are you two doing over there?" he asked in a louder voice, making Sam jump. 

He laughed at her, while her eyes narrowed on him.  "That was not funny."

"Was too."

She opened her mouth to reply just as the limo stopped.  Her eyes widened as she glanced down at herself as if to make sure everything was in place.  She didn't have to bother.  Even if she were wearing a brown paper bag, she would be the most beautiful woman at the party.  It sounded corny, but she had an inner light that shined through that made someone view her as beautiful.  It was her personality, not only her looks, that made her lovely.

The door opened, and Max exited first.  Graham followed behind, turning when he exited the limo.  Scott stepped out, a smile on his face as he looked down at the limo. Taking a step in front of his friend, Graham grabbed Sam's hand and pulled her to her feet.  She bumped into him, the distance between them barely there.

"Don't leave his side," Graham whispered to her, "and save me a dance."

Taking a step back, he smiled as Scott rolled his eyes and wrapped his hand into Sam's.  Watching as they walked into the party, he let out a sigh.

"I hope she does okay," Max mumbled from beside him.

Graham glanced over at his date for the night.  "Me too, buddy, but you better pray for yourself too.  Scott's mom is going to put you through the fifth degree."

"Why?" he asked, his eyebrows scrunched up in confusion.

A large, slightly evil smile crossed Graham's face.  "Well, because you're my date.  Scott's mom makes sure that all of our dates are good enough for us.  She's a hard woman, but she loves us."

"Shit," Max mumbled. 

Graham laughed just as he spotted a familiar woman stalking towards Sam and Scott.  "My sentiments exactly," he said as he darted through the crowd, hoping that Scott's mom wouldn't scare Sam off before he had a chance to carry through with his plans.  It only took one small thing to ruin them, and as much as he loved Scott's mom, he would not let her be that one small thing.