Part 26

Chapter 25 - Max

Max watched as Sam hurried out of the house.  Her head was down casted; her breath was a little faster than normal.  Her usual signs that something was bothering her, that she was upset but didn't want anyone to know.  Pushing off the wall he had been holding up while waiting on her, he started towards her.  Even as he got closer, she didn't glance up at him once.

His heart went out to her.  He hated seeing her like this, hated knowing that she was in pain.  He could have prevented this from the beginning.  He could have done what he was paid to do, keep people from hurting her.  Instead, he let her make new friends without taking the normal precautions. 

"Sam," he whispered as he grabbed her arm.

She turned towards him, her eyes wide as she tried to keep tears from flowing from her eyes.  "I want to go home," she whispered before leaning towards him.

Not hesitating, he wrapped an arm around her and began weaving them through the crowd.  He could see the worried expression on some of their faces, but Max didn't stop at the questions in their eyes.  He didn't care what these people thought, didn't care if he was banned from every function for the rest of his life.  All that mattered was that Sam was in pain, and the only way to ease some of that pain was to take her home.

They reached the cars waiting for them, but when one of the chauffer nodded in their direction, Max shook his head.  He didn't want to take one of the limos, knew that Sam didn't want to be put on display any longer.  Instead, he eased her away from where all the limos were parked for their guests.  Walking further away, he smiled when he heard Sam gasp beside him.

"When'd you get it?"

Max tightened his grip on her with an affectionate side hug.  "You're father sent it to you, but you were already on your way here.  Kate brought it out.  It was supposed to be a surprise."

Sam glanced towards him; the tears she was trying to keep at bay finally fell down her cheeks.  Turning in his grasp, she wrapped her arms around him completely.  "Thank you," she sobbed.

Running a hand up and down her back in assurance, he rocked them back and forth.  "Shh," he whispered, "everything is going to be fine.  I promise."

"Promise," she asked, pulling back from him slightly. 

He smiled at the look she was giving him.  It was the same look that had got him from the beginning.  With Sam staring up at him like that, her eyes trusting and warm, he would promise her the world.  Leaning towards her, he pressed a kiss to her forehead just as he had done millions of times before.  "I promise.  Now," he said while pulling away from her, "let's get in that piece of junk you call a vehicle, and go home."

She chuckled under her breath, bringing a smile to his lips.  "Fine, but do not talk about her like that," Sam said in a joking tone.  "You know how temperamental she can be."

"Just like her owner," he mumbled under his breath as he dodged the smack she tried to give to his shoulder. 

"Sam!" a voice shouted, making them both freeze.  Max glanced over his shoulder, watching as Graham glanced around in attempt to spot them.

Max turned and took a step towards the man, ready to call back.  A hand on his arm stopped him.  Looking down, he saw something flash in Sam's eyes before she shook her head.  "Don't."  When he didn't say anything, her face dropped slightly.  "Please, just don't."

"Okay," he mumbled as he turned his back on Graham, "but you're going to have to deal with the two of them one day."

She nodded in agreement.  "But not today."