Part 28

Chapter 27 - Sam

A sigh escaped her mouth as she let the bed mold into her back. This was bliss. Even after moving out of her parent's years earlier, she relished the time she was able to spend in her old room. She didn't know if it was because it was different, or if a part of her still held onto it, but this bed was the one spot she could lie down and think. It was her equivalent of Scott's thinking room. A smile formed on her lips when she thought of the man. He really was adorable. Even with his impeccable clothing, the man had a childish aspect to him. That was something that both him and Graham had in common. He was different from Graham though.

Graham, she thought with a small sigh, he was the man who would never let you sulk in a room by yourself. He would never let her get away with keeping secrets, and she knew for a fact that the man had been trying to find her for the past week that she had been at her parents. He didn't quit. Even when she had made Max call him, Graham didn't stop looking. It made Sam feel oddly wanted. It made her feel as if, maybe, she was more important to him than he said.

She shifted into her mattress, getting more comfortable as her thoughts continued. Would she be happy just being friends with both of them? Would she be able to watch as they moved on in their lives? What if Scott found a wife, would Sam mind? Oddly, she didn't think she would. She wanted the man to be happy, wanted him to have a life and wife that he deserved. If she chose Graham though, would Scott be happy? Would her selfishness break two friends apart, make them hate one another?

Sam shook her head at the question. She couldn't do it, couldn't come between the two of them when they had been friends with one another their entire lives. She loved the both of them, would always love them, and she refused to hurt either of them, even if that meant hurting herself. With defeat in her movements, she pressed the palms of her hands into the mattress and sat up. This was it, she told herself. She had made her decision.

Her feet connected with the floor as she pushed off the bed. Maybe she had been hiding from the truth during her week stay at her parents, maybe she hadn't wanted to admit that she loved Graham more than she loved Scott, and maybe she was afraid. She was afraid that she would lose all of her courage, that she would beg Graham to be with her, beg Scott not to hate them.

A disgusted snort escaped her mouth at the direction her thoughts were taking. This was getting her nowhere. Standing in her room while her thoughts went everywhere, wasn't helping a thing. Her spine straightened as she stepped towards the door. Before she could open it herself, it was wrenched open.

Muffled curses reached her ears as her father and Max came into view. Her eyes widened as she saw what was in their hands. Both with black sacks around their heads, Graham struggled out of Max's grip while Scott attempted to free himself from her father.

"What are you doing?" she asked in a shock voice.

Immediately, Graham quit moving while Scott still fought against his capture. "Sam?" Graham asked, his voice a little rough. "Is that you?"

Scott's movements halted. "Sam?"

"Uh," she stuttered, glancing towards her father and Max in silent help.

"Sorry," Max said with a smile that let Sam know that the man was lying. He wasn't sorry. He was downright bursting with glee. "Got to go." He pushed Graham forward at the same time her father pushed Scott. Without looking back, they exited the room, a solid click letting her know that they had locked the door behind them.

She whirled around, running towards her bedside table. Jerking the drawer open, she groaned when her key was missing. "Damn it all to hell!"

"That doesn't sound like Sam," Scott mumbled behind her.