SEVEN

SEVEN.

          THE OWLERY was seemingly occupied by something other than a few dozen owls, for a change. Arabella sat in there on the floor, her back perched against the decaying wooden wall. She had been feeling rather homesick lately, and with all the chaos of Harry Potter's unexpected Tournament trials, she felt that she had to inform someone about it rather than just Deanna, Fred and George, or her sister.

Thus, she decided late at night, that she was going to write a letter to her parents - using her owl named Henry to deliver the parchment.

          Dear Mum and Dad,
                                              Everything is fine here at Hogwarts - Ellie is surprisingly happy to be back. I am too.

          There has been no sign of Voldemort yet, so tell Gran that she was wrong (and that she shouldn't keep scaring people with her weird theories)!

          The Triwizard Tournament is soon, and this year we have four competitors. Harry's name was put in there by accident, I think. Nobody is really sure what happened, but whatever it was, I don't think it was done on purpose.

          And as I tell you every year, Zoe and Erin are just as annoying. Zoe is keeping a secret from us all, and I have no idea what it is. I'm just hoping it's nothing serious. Actually, knowing her, it's something stupid like she grew an extra toe or accidentally swallowed a Bowtruckle.

          But I can't help but worry, as always.

          I hope you're doing well, and Dad - try not to blow up the house with your Potion-making, please.

           (Mum, use your witchy powers if you must, but just don't let Dad do anything dangerous.)

                                             Love and miss you,
                                                                          Bella x

          She lazily shoved the letter into an envelope, placing it carefully into Henry's open beak. Stroking his wing affectionately, she grinned through her chapped lips. "Say hi to Mum and Dad for me."

Arabella watched out of the window as her owl took flight, cascading further away until his form became a mere dappled brown figure amongst the moonlight. The girl thought of her parents - both of them present with magical blood - and her mother's endearing nature and her father's passion for Potions. She laughed delightedly, thinking of all the moments her and Ellie would watch their father Potion-making. Whenever it went wrong, the mixture would set fire or cause his hair to become like static electricity, and this amused the sisters so much that they would laugh about it for hours.