TWENTY SIX

TWENTY SIX.

          ARABELLA WAITED outside the Great Hall, having arranged prior to the Leaving Feast that a large group of students, whom she was friendly with, would walk in to the feast together. Ones that knew Cedric; platonically, romantically – it didn't matter. His death affected even the coldest of Hogwarts students, because the loss of Cedric Diggory was a constant reminder of the birth of Lord Voldemort.

          She smiled upon recognising two blue and bronze robes that were nothing but familiar: Luna Lovegood's long platinum hair, and kind yet whimsical expression, was the first thing she had noticed. Beside her was Deanna, with brunette hair like a tapestry of silk and a confident stride that only a girl like her could possess. Then she recognised another face stepping out from behind the duo: one of timidity and utmost grief. Cho Chang.

          Cho was not someone that Bella particularly enjoyed the company of, nor did she agree with the way that the fifth year had acted throughout her time at Hogwarts. But she lost a boy that she loved, and Bella didn't feel any hatred towards her – she couldn't – because all she felt was sympathy. "Hi," the redhead greeted the three girls in front of her. "Cho, I didn't expect to see you here."

          "This group is for Cedric, and so is the Leaving Feast. I knew him better than any other Hogwarts student; it was only right to include myself."

          Arabella shrugged. "I just assumed that you would be too upset to attend."

          Cho smiled in acknowledgment of the support she was receiving. "I am still very upset, I'm crying often, but I wouldn't want to miss a feast that was in honour of Cedric. It's a celebration of his life, in some way, and by ignoring that I would only feel worse about his death."

          "I don't know you that well, nor did I know Cedric that well either, but if I was in your situation I wouldn't handle it as good as you have, Cho." Bella meant every word, although she despised the thought of being in the poor girl's situation; losing her lover at the hands of Voldemort? Losing Viktor? Even just thinking about it made her feel sick to the stomach.

          As if presenting themselves in a pack of wolves – or rather a pack of lions – a group of Gryffindors approached the Ravenclaw girls knowingly, greeting them as if their company was entirely expected. Among the group was Fred, George (which Bella was delighted to notice, of course), Harry, Ron, and Hermione. Ginny and Neville followed soon after, though Neville was too shy to speak, especially when Ginny encouraged him to stand next to Luna because the youngest Weasley wanted to converse with her blonde friend.