T e n

The next day was the same for me. It seemed as though the badges had gotten 10 times more popular, and just about every student had one. 

"Like the badge?" A Ravenclaw boy said to me, puffing out his chest. I rolled my eyes, and brushed past him, trying to block out everyone else. Unfortunately, it's hard to do that with people waving badges in your face, and taunting you.

Adjusting my bookbag on my shoulder, I made my way towards the exit that led to the courtyard. Luckily for me, a few Hufflepuffs were blocking it.

"Like the badge, Austing?" A boy sneered, laughing.

"Excuse me," I said, through clenched teeth. None of them moved. Instead, the continued laughing.

Suddenly, I felt someone grab my hand. Then, the pushed past the Hufflepuffs, pulling me with them.

"Been looking everywhere for you. Are you alright?" Harry's voice asked me, as he turned to look at me.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Why have you been looking for me?" I replied, making him stop in front of me.

"I have something to tell you. It's about the first task."

"Do you know what it is?"

"Dragons. Each Champion has to battle one."

My eyes widened in horror, causing me to clap a hand over my mouth. "You're joking. There's no bloody way they're going to make us do that."

"Yeah, well, they are. The fact that you and Hermione will be the only ones supporting me isn't too comforting either." He said, running his fingers through his hair.

"What about Ron?" I asked.

"He thinks I put my name into the Goblet, and now he's being a git about it."

I scoffed, and rolled my eyes. "To hell with him, Harry. To hell with everyone. We can do this on our own."

He smirked, making me frown. "So, that's how you got into Slytherin. I've been wondering how that happened."

"I'm a tiny bit of an ass under pressure, and right now, I'm kinda under pressure." I told him, pinching the bridge of my nose.

"Hey," He said, placing a hand on my shoulder. I looked up at him. "It'll be alright. I know it's scary, but we'll make it through this together."

I sighed, and nodded. "You're right, Harry. We'll show Malfoy who's boss after we destroy those dragons."

He smiled, and laughed a little. "Indeed we will."

>>>

That afternoon, as I sat at lunch, Peep swooped down, and dropped a red envelope in front of me. 

"Peep, you're supposed to be resting. You didn't gave to send my 'thank you' letters until tomorrow. Thanks, anyway, buddy." I said, picking up the envelope. Then, it hit me.

This was no letter.

It was a Howler.

If I didn't open it, it'd explode. But, if I did, Malfoy would hear it, and never let me forget it. But, I knew what I had to do. So, I opened it.

"VIOLET EVANGELINE AUSTING!" My mother's shrill voice shrieked. I blushed, as the whole Great Hall went silent. "I CAN'T EVEN BEGIN TO EXPRESS HOW UPSET I AM WITH YOU! WHAT THE BLOODY HELL HAS GOTTEN INTO YOU? YOUR FATHER AND I HAVE DONE EVERYTHING WE COULD TO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A ROOF TO LIVE UNDER, AND FOOD TO EAT, AND THIS IS YOUR THANKS?! HOW UNGRATEFUL CAN YOU BE?! I AM SICKENED BY YOUR VERY EXISTENCE AT THE MOMENT! WHY--?!"

"Love, maybe you should calm down." My dad said in the background. 

"Yeah, mum, this isn't her fault." Luke agreed.

"OH HUSH, THE BOTH OF YOU! MAYBE YOU'LL LEARN YOUR LESSON IF THESE TOURNAMENTS BECOME THE END OF YOU!"

With that, the Howler shredded itself into pieces, causing everyone to burst into laughter. 

"Even her own mother won't believe her!" Malfoy sobbed between laughs. My cheeks began burning, as hot tears brimmed my eyes.

I got up, and hurried out of the room as fast as I could, leaving my bookbag behind. As I turned a sharp corner, I slammed into someone, and stumbled back.

"Sorry, Violet. I, er, didn't see you coming. A-Are you crying?" The person said.

I looked up, only to see Harry standing there, with a concerned expression on his face. "I don't wanna talk about it." I mumbled, wiping my tears away.

"Well, maybe you should. It'll help you feel better." He told me.

"N-No, it won't. This is different."

"What happened?"

"Ask anyone in the Great Hall. They'll catch you up."

"Did Malfoy do something to you? I swear, if he did, I'll--"

"It wasn't him this time. Look, I-I need to get to my next class. See you around." With that, I hurried off. Harry called after me, but I only ignored him.

Once upon a time, my life was normal.