18 | red

I'm reading in the den when my phone vibrates against my leg. I pick it up and the lighted screen indicate a missed call and some texts from Mika.

Mika Adler - 9:30 AM: Let's go dress shopping today! You down?

Luna Crawford - 9:32 AM: Yeah, pick u up in 10?

Mika Adler - 9:33 AM: Done. Ava's going to meet us there.

I get up from the couch and place my book down on top of the blanket. Climbing the wooden steps of the stairs in the den, I walk down the corridor towards my room. I turn the shower on and start taking my clothes off. Before I enter inside the show I take a look at myself on the mirror. My dark hair is a mess around my shoulders and the bags under my eyes look swollen and purple from lack of sleep.

I arrived home last night at about two thirty in the morning and I couldn't sleep. I spent the night tossing and turning while thinking about everything that happened earlier, only managing to nod off for an hour. At around sunrise, I gave up on trying to sleep and went to the den with my book to try to make my mind calm down of a bit.

The hot water leaves my skin with a shade of red but the temperature is just how I like it. I feel my muscles relaxing under the shower's cascade and I close my eyes while relishing the feeling. I continue washing myself with lavender soap and shower gel and I put lotion with the same scent on after I leave the shower.

I enter my closet wrapped in my towel and grab a black turtle neck long-sleeved dress from the hanger, along with a red bomber jacket and black chelsea boots. Drying myself, I throw the towel over a chair and put my clothes on. I quickly apply concealer and mascara and grab my handbag and cell phone, leaving my room.

"Mom, I'm going to the mall!" I shout as I reach the living room of the house, not directing my voice to any specific place.

My boots make crunching sounds on the gravel of the driveway as I walk towards my car. I didn't bother parking it in the garage yesterday night, instead just leaving it on the driveway. I grab my sunglasses from my purse and open the car door while trying to get away from the bright sunlight which is burning my sleep deprived eyes. The engine purrs to life as I turn the key in the ignition and I leave as the automatic gates open.

I call Mika as I get nearer to her house and as I arrive she's already waiting by the gate. She smiles and says hey when she gets inside and we spend the car ride chatting away and listening to the radio. Winchester Mall is located near the outskirts of town and it takes almost fifteen minutes to arrive there.

"Let's go to Starbucks, i need caffeine," I plead to Mika and she laughs at my desperate face. We enter the queue in the coffee shop and i'm surprised to only see two people in front of us. Once we're face to face to the bored-looking teenager on the other counter I order my drink.

"I'll have a grande almond milk latte with an extra shot please," the barista nods and writes down the order, "and she'll have a tall chai latte. My treat."

Mika smiles and thanks me as I pay for our drinks. They're ready in a few minutes and we walk towards the store where Ava's meeting us. The department store has three floors, ranging from sportswear to couture. The three of us head to the third floor and once the elevator doors open the classy exterior can be seen.

There are racks upon racks of beautiful dresses spread throughout the various rooms that compose the floor. The dresses are organized by color and I go straight to the dark section. I skim through the burgundy dresses and all of them are nice and all,  but I haven't found that perfect one yet.

I move to the racks of red dresses and I suddenly see it.

"Oh my god," I whisper and grab the masterpiece of a dress in front of me. The silky scarlett fabric is embroidered with shiny ruby rocks which makes the light reflect off of the material. This is maybe the most beautiful dress I've ever seen.

I carefully grab it from the rack and try to find the girls. They're both in the same room when I walk in and as I show the dress to them they have the same reaction that I had a few seconds ago.

"You need to try it on right now!" Ava commands me and I laugh.

"It's perfect for you Luna," says Mika, nodding her head.

I head to the sales assistant and ask her to grab the dress in my size. She looks at me from head to toe with a judgmental look in her eyes as if doubting that i'll ever buy it. I roll my eyes as she retreats into the storage room and sit down into one of the cream sofas spread around the room.

The lady returns into the room where i'm seated and asks me to follow her. She guides me into a spacious changing room and places the dress inside, then leaving me alone to try it on. I take my clothes off and I grab the dress from the hanger. The smooth material glides over my skin and i place my arms through the right spaces. The strapless dress accentuates my collarbones and the slit is sexy but the dress is so beautiful and carefully made that it manages to be elegant and everything but vulgar.

I manage to zip the dress on and I step out of the changing room and look at the floor length mirror. The silhouette makes my waist seem thiner and make me look taller, the red tones bringing out the color of my eyes.

"That's the one," Ava looks at me with awe, "Luna, you look like a princess."

"Oh shut up," I laugh at her exaggeration and smile contently. I'm in love with the dress. No feeling compares to the one when you find that special item of clothing.

As I'm taking the dress off and strip into my underwear I can't help but wonder if he'll like it, and I feel butterflies in my stomach at the thought.

*****

Luna's dress is from a designer called Zuhair Murad. If you don't know him, you should check him out, his dresses are works of art. I was between Valentino, Elie Saab and Zuhair for Luna's dress but I think that this one's perfect for the occasion :)