Chapter 8

Once again, I make a stop after school. When I approach the front desk the woman from before looks slightly surprised. She probably didn't expect to see me back. Well here I am.
Proudly, I place the paper on her desk along with my birth certificate I managed to find while dad was sleeping. He fell asleep on the couch so his room was fair game.
"This may take a while. You'll have to wait out here until I come to get you." she says in advance.
She looks them over, writes down a few things, then disappears in a room behind her. I sit in a chair in the corner and wait patiently. Please please please work.
About thirty minutes later she arrives back with an unusual look of reluctancy on her small face.
"Olivia?" she calls.
I look up and walk to the desk.
"Your request has been made. Fortunately for you, there's someone who's agreed to help you."
I smile.

"Thank you." I say. I'm not sure how police stations work but this one was doing me good.
I follow her back to the room she had gone in earlier. It's a huge office-like room with people rushing around like work bees.
We approach a room and as I walk in I read the plaque on the door.

119
Officer Dale Raymond

A tall and muscular man stands before me dressed in a navy blue police uniform. He has short brown hair, hazel eyes, and a squarish shaped face.

"Olivia, right? This is Officer Raymond. He's here to help you. I'll leave you to your business." She walks off, her bright red heels clicking on the tiles.

"Hello Olivia. I heard about your request. I found the files on your mother and I read through them. Seems it's a closed case." he says in a deep voice. "I understand you want some answers, any kid would. And to be quit honest, your request wasn't taken seriously. We aren't really supposed to be doing this kind of thing. When Deloris, our secretary out front, gave you that paper we didn't think you'd come back." he continues.

"Wait, so that permission slip was a joke?" I ask.

He scratches the back of his head. "I wouldn't say a joke. Let's not focus on that right now. If you could have a seat."
He gestures to the chair in front of his desk. I sit down in the metal fold up chair, which is not at all comfy. Especially compared to his office chair.
He places a file down in front of me. After plopping down in his seat he takes some papers out and turns them towards me.
"This is her basic information. Birth date, full name, all that. Over here is the images our traffic cameras captured the night she disappeared." He places a few other papers in front of me. "This is some of the information we collected. This is all I can show you. Feel free to look through it and if you have questions ask. I'll try to answer what I can."

I look through the papers. In the photos I see a blurry image of her walking alongside the road. All three images are her walking but no one else is shown. I try to find something suspicious but I can't. There's nothing there and it's too distorted.
I move on to the case details. It was 10:54 when mom was walking by the road. She was reported missing at 9:38 the next day. Police found two sets of footprints from people walking within an hour of each other. The second person's prints were unidentified and there was no trace of DNA.
I keep reading though it and I make sure I get every detail memorized.
Reading the next paper is difficult for me. I can't keep my eyes off the picture of mom. She's so beautiful and happy looking. Her smile shows off her pearly white teeth. I get my looks from dad I can tell. Mom looks so different from me.
Blue eyes, fair skin, and blonde wavy hair makes her look like a queen.
I finished looking through everything. After a quick chat and a thank you I handed him the file and left.
    ***
Now about those papers I had hidden under my clothes. I have them in my car along with a roll of tape.

MISSING
ELIZABETH MASON
LAST SEEN SEPTEMBER 5, 2006

IF YOU HAVE ANY INFO PLEASE CONTACT:(330)-988-6745

(330)-988-6745

I tape them all over. I try not to put them in places dad often drives by which is extremely hard. I have to put them up so everyone will see them but I have to make sure dad doesn't see. Or hear about them. They probably won't stay up very long which sucks.
I knew I wouldn't be able to track whoever abducted mom. No footprints anymore and whoever took her certainly wouldn't stay around. There was hardly any clues from the files I read. Dead ends galore. The phone book didn't do me any good either. I already tried calling people who lived near the area mom was last seen, but they either didn't pick up or told me they didn't know anything. These flyers are my last chance.