Chapter 18

Glass covers my body like glitter. Sharp wires tangle around my body and pierces into my flesh. A pool of blood surrounds me like a lake. What am I doing? Why am I still alive?

My breathing is shallow and I can't move a muscle.

Olivia.

I'm sure I hear someone but my hearing is muffled, like someone stuck cotton in my ears.
Olivia.
I look towards the noise and it hurts to even look a different direction. There's no one there.
Olivia come here darling. Come here. I don't know how I am able to roll onto my side but I do. I didn't even want to. When I roll over all I see is a bare wall with barbed wire dangling from it.
Olivia down here. Honey look at me please.

When I look down I see her. Mom is in a shard of glass but she looks normal. She has her pretty blonde hair and gorgeous blue eyes. A warm smile invites me to talk with her.
My little girl.
Tears roll down her cheeks.
You're hurt.

She cares? Is this what it feels like to have a mother? My arm reaches out and picks up the shard. But I didn't want to do that either. I was too weak and unwilling to pick up the piece of glass to see her. It was as if I was a puppet and someone pulled a string and moved my arm forward.

Honey, let mommy help you. Let me take care of you.
I want that more than anything.
Would you let mommy out so she can come help you? Can you let me be your mother again?
Can I trust her? Was this my real mom or the monster in the mirror?
Olivia, sweetie, I missed you. Let me out. You want to be with your mother don't you?
I want her back. I need my mom but is this true? Is the words she speaks true? I love her and I want a mom. We can be a family again. Would she cook dinner for us, or take me shopping, or hug me and tells me she loves me? Would she be a mother?
Don't you? Olivia you love me right?

Thoughts swarm my mind, but even with all of the clutter, I am shocked at the word I utter.

The word slipped out of my mouth and there was no taking it back.