Coursera: Craft of Style

So how did NaNoWriMo treat you?

It treated me REALLY BAD. It was an extremely rough month for me to the point where I had to seek out counseling. Not fun stuff and if you want to read more about it, I'll be updating Meditations on a Murder very soon.

But now I want to get back to my writing resources! In the past I told you about two Coursera classes I took that I loved, the craft of plot and the craft of character. I felt like those two classes gave me so much information and guidance and they gave me tools I could start using immediately.

Just as important to a good story, but much harder to pin down, is the style, setting, and description. It's the difference between a great author and a good one: an excellent style that speaks to the reader. It's not the kind of thing that you can just decide on an do. It only comes from tons of practice and trial and error. But it also helps to get a little guidance.

That's where the Coursera course on the Craft of Style comes in. I think it's a great jumping off point for anyone with at least a high school English class level of writing. I will caution you though - where the craft of plot and characters felt like it went by very fast and you just absorbed everything, this is slower and harder to follow. I've had to go back and watch it again. I feel like I'm getting better but it's a much slower process.

But then, becoming a writer is.

Rating: 4/5

Homework: start a "writing resources" notebook of your own! Start keeping track of the best advice you discover in one easy to find place.

Link: https://www.coursera.org/learn/craft-of-style/home/welcome