First with your eyes

There's an old saying about why it's not enough to make your food delicious - you also have to make it attractive. The saying goes "you eat first with your eyes."

The same goes for books. Despite the famous admonition, people absolutely do judge books by their covers. A good cover can sell an awful book and a bad cover can doom a great one. After reading a lot of self publishing advice I've come to the conclusion that you absolutely must have an attractive cover. But that's easier said then done, especially for beginners in the industry. I made my own covers back when I was publishing online, and honestly, I don't think I did myself any favors.

Like the editing article, I think this is a good jumping off point. One of the best things you as an author can do is network. You can get good editors as well as good artists through recommendations. But if you want to try a few other avenues, this article has some suggestions.

Rating: unrated, since it really isn't about the craft of writing

Homework: try to make your own cover. What do you think of it?  How could you improve it?

Link: https://thewritelife.com/your-self-published-book-needs-a-cover-heres-how-to-create-it/