Untold Stories

Chapter 23

Megan's POV

It's been weeks and I've completely stopped hearing from Drake. He manages to avoid me at school, he blocked my phone number, and his window is always covered. I don't know what happened, I know my dad caught us again but what could my dad have done to get him to give up on us?

I've tried to ask my dad what happened but he keeps telling me this is for the better. I don't talk to my dad much now, my mom has been trying to get me to talk to her and sometimes I do, but I really need to be left alone. Shawn is still around to but he's going back to school after Christmas break, which is a week away. We're on our last week of school before break and I can't wait to spend the holidays sulking in my room.

"Megan let's go!" Danielle calls from downstairs. "Yeah I'm coming." I call back. I sulk my way down the steps to meet Danielle. "Turn that frown upside down, tomorrow's our last day of school!"

I shrug and sit on the couch, "Okay why don't we make some cookies?" She asks. "Drake likes cookies." I mumble.

She groans, "Okay fine, how about we paint each other's nails or do something girly?"

"Danielle I really don't want to do anything. Thank you for trying but I just want to sulk."

She shakes her head, "Well I can't let you sulk alone. Vent to me come on."

I sit up, "Okay well I just don't understand why he gave up on me. Did he never care?" I ask as tears start to form my eyes. She hits me with a pillow, "Of course he cared! There's more to the story that we don't know. So we just need to find out, instead of sulking let's go fix your relationship!"

"But how? My dad won't tell me anything."

"But did you look through your dads stuff? Maybe there are clues there."

"Oh my gosh you're right! You're a genius Danie!" I say as I give her a big hug. She flips her hair, "I know."

Since no one is home due to the fact that it's 4:00 pm on a Thursday afternoon, Danielle and I decide to search through my dads office. "Okay lets see, where would I put something I didn't want my daughter to find?" She asks herself. "A locked drawer?"

We start checking all the drawers looking for something that we know we're looking for. "What about this? It's a bill for a private investigator."

"A private investigator? What's the date?" I ask.

"November 11th."

"That's a little over a month ago. Why would my dad need a private investigator?"

"To investigate someone, duh."

"Shut up, and do you think that someone is Drake?"

"Well who else would your dad need to investigate? Drake looks like a bad boy, so maybe he is, or was I don't know maybe that's what your dad wanted to find out."

"But why would that stop Drake from talking to me?" I ask.

She sighs, "Blackmail of course."

"But what could Drake have done that was so bad he didn't want anyone knowing about it?"

"Well that's what we need to find out."

"And how will we do that? We both don't have money for a private investigator."

"Keep looking Megs."

We continue looking for clues and find nothing else except a phone number for plumber, and a scratch paper with drakes name on it. "Maybe there's stuff in your parents room?" Danielle suggests.

"Maybe but they'll be home soon and I don't want us to get caught in there searching."

She nods, "Well I gotta get home now, call me if you find anything juicy."
I nod, "Of course I'll keep you up to date." She soon leaves and I head to the kitchen to snack on something before the family gets home. I grab a Hawaiian roll and head upstairs back to my room.

After doing some homework I head to Shawn's room to borrow his graphing calculator because mine is always having technical difficulties. I reach up onto the top shelf of his dresser and a folded up piece of paper floats down to the ground. I pick it up and debate if I should open it, of course I should!

I open the paper and see Drakes name written next to where it says name. "Oh my." I mutter out loud. I run to my room and quickly call Danielle, "I found something, I haven't completely read it over yet but Drakes full name is printed on the top."

"Read it!!" She exclaims.

"Okay okay!" I take deep breaths and open it again, "It's his record.", I continue reading through it, "Vandalism, public nuisance, suspicion of murder?!?" I exclaim.

"Suspicion of murder?!?" Danielle exclaims as well. "I've been dating a murderer?" I whisper. "What a minute we don't know that, it says suspicion, who died?" She asks.

I look over the paper, "Annabelle Ross."

"Okay look her up maybe her story is online." I nod in agreement even though I know she can't see me. I open up my laptop and type in her name. "Okay here we go, a body was found in an abandoned burned down house, it was later identified as 15 year old Annabelle Ross. She was last seen March 22nd with her boyfriend, Drake Hendrickson.." I gulp.

"Oh my." Danielle says.

"Drake wouldn't hurt anyone." I say to myself.

"Continue reading the article Meg."

"I don't want to, I feel sick. I'll call you later." I say quickly hanging up. I shut my laptop. I just don't understand, did Drake kill that girl then set that house on fire to hide her body? No Drake wouldn't do that, that's not him. But how do I know? Do I really know Drake? What's the reason he even moved here he never told me.

Maybe my dad was right, I should just keep away from him.