Secrets Revealed

Chapter 24

Drakes POV

So apparently things have switched around. Megan is the one avoiding me at all costs now. Did her dad tell her? If so then I need for her to hear my side of the story.

Now that we're on Christmas break and schools out, we don't necessarily have to avoid each other. But it also means it's going to be much more difficult for me to talk to her. I just need to get the ability to clear my name and let her know what happened before she decides to judge me. I also need to find out if that's the reason she's been a avoiding me to begin with.

I sit in my room waiting patiently for her house to become empty, leaving only her in it. First, her dad leaves for work at 7:00 am, then her mother at 9:00, and then her brother leaves the house at around 2:00 pm, leaving only her inside the house. Everyone should be back home at 5:00, this is my chance.

I head out my window and climb onto the tree dividing us, luckily her window is unlocked and I slide right in. The bedroom is empty but I hear the shower running across the hall. I guess I'll wait. I take a seat on her bed and lay back, awaiting her arrival.

Thirty minutes later she enters the room. She enters the room humming a song and turns her back to me to lock the door, when she turns back around she notices me and lets out a scream. I run up to her and quickly cover her mouth, "Don't touch me!" She hisses.

"Why've you been avoiding me?" I ask. "Drake we're not allowed to see each other get out please."

"Megan I know you don't care about that. Tell me why you stopped trying to talk to me?"

She glares at me, "Maybe because you stopped talking to me Drake. Maybe because once you found out my dad knew about your little secret, you were too scared of me finding out that you decided to just leave me. Well I know now Drake, and I don't want anything to do with you."

"Let me at least tell you my side of the story."

"You could've told me your side when you told me the story. But you never planned to tell me did you? You can't keep something like this from someone you care about Drake! I don't even know if I know you anymore. Murder, you're a suspect in a murder investigation!" I sigh, "Megan, please just let me tell you my side."

She nods, "Fine, but my mind is pretty much made up."

She grabs a robe and takes a seat across from me. I let out a breath, "Okay well her name was Annabelle, she was my girlfriend back in Connecticut. She was a very outgoing and wild girl. She always loved to party, drink, smoke, etc. So partying was kind of our thing, she liked to do graffiti art as well, and loved pulling pranks. On the night she went missing we went to a party, we thought the party was getting lame so we bailed and went to our usual hang out place in this abandoned old house. We were hanging out like we usually do, until Annabelle asked me for a drink. I realized the drinks were still in the car, I went out to the car to get it and when I came back.." I looked down at the ground.

"Annabelle was gone, I thought she was playing a mean trick on me or something. But I looked for hours and she never returned. I left the house and decided to go down to the police station to report her missing, but I hesitated because I was driving around illegally and I was afraid of getting in trouble for that. By the time I decided I should just go to the station anyway there had already been a call about a house fire. Her body was found in the remains." I whispered in a hoarse voice.

"I still don't know what happened to her, but I was immediately put down as a suspect. A main suspect at that, my mom quickly moved us out here after that. And since they still haven't figured out if it was a homicide or not, I'm still a suspect. But I swear on everything I didn't hurt her. I never would've and I never did."

"How can I believe you?" She asked quietly. "Do you think I did it?" I asked back. She shrugs, "I'm really not sure, you kept something this big from me, who knows what else I don't know about you. Or even what's actually true."

"Do you think this is something I want to tell anyone? It's not something that's easy to tell people either Megan."

She sighs, "Drake I just don't want to see you right now. I would feel better if you left."

"So this is it? You're really ending it like this?"

"You're acting like this isn't a big deal Drake!" She exclaims. "I know it's a big deal! But you're making the situation bigger than it is! I didn't kill anyone, and I never told you about Annabelle because it wasn't the right time! We've been dating for like 2 months and we've only known each other for 5 months. This isn't something you tell people you just become friends with so they can use it in their English project!"

She looks up at me and glares, "Then when were you going to tell me?"

"When the time was right." I reply. "Drake go, please."

"Fine if that's what you want." I say quietly as I walk toward the window. "I'm sorry it had to end this way."

"I am too." She whispers back as I climb out of the window.