Chapter 5

EDITED - 10/26/18

___________________________

'I look at you 

and see the rest of my life 

in front of my eyes.' 

Unknown

___________________________

New York Institute; Evening of August 26, 2016

ALEC

  She stirs awake in my arms. "What time is it?" She mutters and I look at my phone to check the time. "It's around nine in the evening." I explain before looking back at her. She lets out a sigh and I know what she wants to do right now, she wants to head where her brother is. Even after what he has done to her, she still accepts him but forgiving him is not yet an option.

  I let out an irritated sigh. "Have you forgiven him that easily?" I suddenly ask and she looks at me curiously. "I love my brother but sometimes he can be a pain in the ass." She states before sitting up on the bed. She lets out a sigh before playing with her fingers. "I don't know anymore." She mutters softly that I almost didn't catch what she said.

  I hold her hand and she looks at me. "Hey, don't be so down. Come on, maybe this mission might bring the jump back in your steps." I say with a wink. She chuckles softly before biting her lip and nods. I really do hope that this mission makes her feel herself again.

---

YVANNA

  We arrive at the City of Bones where everyone is huddled in a circle. "There they are!" Izzy yells before rushing towards me. "How long were you guys here?" I ask after she pulls me into a hug. She holds me in arms' length with a smile. "We just got here." She explains as I notice my brother looking at me but I focus my attention on my parabatai.

  I admit, I was hurt by what he said. I see Jace walking towards us and I clear my throat. "I think I need some air." I state before walking away from them. I love my brother, I really do but that doesn't mean he can say what he said. It's been a couple days since this girl came into our lives, she has grown to be a pain in an ass.

---

ALEC

  Jace looks at his sister's retreating figure. I eye Izzy and gesture her to follow her parabatai. "Hey, if something goes wrong, if something happens to her, that's on us. You know that, don't you?" I ask while crossing my arms and gesturing towards the little girl. He nods before crossing his arms in front of him.

  He looks down at his feet before looking back at me. "Yeah, and you know exactly what'd happen if Valentine gets the Cup before we do. She's lost everything Alec, I know exactly what that feels like and what's your problem with her anyway? Your family always used to welcome strays." He explains and I raise an eyebrow at him.

  He thinks that my family welcomed his we can welcome that new girl? "You and Yvanna were never strays. Don't you think Yvanna knows exactly how you feel too?" I ask and he smiles at me weakly. "The point is – nothing's changed. We're in this fight together, the four of us. There's just one more of us." He explains and I nod.

  I may not approve of this mission but we need to get that Cup before it falls into the wrong hands, especially Valentine's. "I know and talk to your sister. If this girl is the reason your relationship with your own sister gets destroyed, I'll kick her out myself." I threaten and he nods. "I'll talk to Abi and apologize, I know she'll understand." He says and I raise an eyebrow at him again.