Chapter 11

EDITED - 01/03/19

__________________________________________________ 

 The beauty of a woman must be seen from in her eyes, 

because that is the doorway to her heart, 

the place where love resides.

- Audrey Hepburn

__________________________________________________ 

Brooklyn Academy of Arts, New York; August 28, 2016

YVANNA

  This place looks like it. Mundanes scurry around to wherever they're supposed to be. We try to look for a red-headed girl around the crowd, to finally spot her at the entrance of the academy. As we walk towards her, her phone starts ringing. "What's the point of an invisibility rune if you don't silence your phone?" I ask angrily through gritted teeth.

  She lets out a sigh before taking her phone out. "Why'd you run out? That was childish sneaking out like that." Alec states angrily as she answers her phone to reveal that it's Simon on the other line. I roll my eye angrily as she talks to Simon. I look at my watch from time-to-time before sneaking up behind her.

  She's too busy talking to Simon to even notice me. "Hang up right now or I'll be forced to throw your phone away." I whisper threateningly in her ear. Shivers crawl around her skin before she hangs up the phone. She explains that Simon is coming down to help us before motioning us to follow her.

  I look at Alec behind me who shrugs angrily before we follow the girl. As we enter an alleyway, Simon is there waiting. She rushes towards him before they start talking. I can tell she's explaining to him about how to find her mother. "You might know the Shadow World, but trust me – I know Brooklyn." He says confidently and I raise an eyebrow at him.

  I take a step forward with my arms crossed. "You're not the only one who knows Brooklyn mundane. Besides, I know both worlds perfectly well." I state with my chin up in confidence. He nods nervously before we follow him towards a fire exit. Simon climbs over a wall with ease, mundanes can't do that that easily.

  Something must have happened to him after the encounter with the vampires. "Climbing a fire escape excites mundanes – I'll never understand these people." Alec suddenly mutters beside me as we reach the top of the fire exit. The walls are covered with different runes, some old some recent but most of them need to be redrawn and others needs to be recasted by a warlock.

  It must be by that warlock named Dot, the one we were looking for at Pandemonium. "Whoa, I don't remember it like this." Clary mutters while examining the runes placed all over the walls. "These are runes and wards of protection cast by a warlock." I explain while looking for anything out of the ordinary.

  Realization dawns on Clary. "Dot." She mutters as we head down a small flight of stairs. "Some of these have been here for years." Alec explains beside me. "The only difference is now I can actually see them." She mutters before looking at the runes. I notice Simon looking at the runes intently. That's strange, mundanes rarely have the Sight.

  I wait quietly to see how he'd react. "Yo Clary, what are all these tags?" He asks and my eyes widen. "You can see the runes?" I ask curiously before looking at Alec. "Yeah, kind of hard to miss." He states while crossing his arms in front of him. Something did happened back at Hotel Dumort.