Chapter 25

EDITED - 04/06/19

________________________________________

'He is my beloved friend and my bitterest rival,

my confidant and my betrayer,

my sustainer and my dependent,

and scariest of all - my equal.'

- Gregg Levoy

________________________________________

Camille's Apartment, New York; September 10, 2016

YVANNA

  We enter the apartment and I look around to see that it's very ancient, just like its owner. We step into a library, its walls filled with shelves that are filled to the brim. "Wow, you've got a lot of books." Alec states as we scan the place, it even has more books than the Institute's library.

  I have a feeling that the majority of these books are first editions. "I've got a lot of time on my hands." She explains as a man – clearly mundane, walks in. "Welcome home, Madame Belcourt." The man says, must be one of Camille's subjugates. "This place creeps me out." Izzy says as she looks around the room.

  The Institute may be ancient but it doesn't give off creepy vibes. "Yeah, let's check the perimeter." Alec suggests and I give him a nod. "Good idea, if I know Camille, she'll have a trick or three up her sleeve." Magnus says before Alec walks ahead. "I'll come with." Vivian says and the three of them leave.

  I scan the room as Clary and Simon start searching through Camille's endless collection of books. "I still don't get it, why do you have this place if you live at Hotel Dumort?" Clary asks as she climbs a ladder. "The Dumort has too many rules. Think of it like Gracie Mansion, it's the official residence, but it doesn't mean I have to live there." Camille explains before looking at me.

  I raise an eyebrow at her. "Like Raphael, he may live at the Dumort but he does have his own apartment." She states with a smirk before walking towards a desk. "This place gives me the freedom to indulge in certain proclivities." She says before grabbing a quill and walks toward Simon before poking his hand with it.

  I roll my eyes before looking for any white book. My phone suddenly rings and I look at it to see it's from Jace. I walk out of the library before answering the call. "Jace, are you alright?" I ask in worry. "Where are you?" He asks back in worry. "At Camille's apartment, Upper East Side, Alucard Building, 13th Floor." I explain.

  Why is Jace worried? "You guys are in danger. Valentine's probably already on the way. You guys need to leave, now." He explains as I enter the library. "Clary's close to finding the Book of the White. I'm pretty sure she's not leaving without it." I explain and he takes in a sharp intake of breath.

  How does he even know that Valentine is near? "Yvanna, you need to leave!" He yells as I can hear his pace quickening. "You said so yourself – we have to stay on mission." I state seriously. "You need to leave now." He begs angrily. "We can't." I state before hanging up. I take in a deep breath before putting my phone back in my pocket.

  I look up to see Clary looking at me in worry. "What's going on? What did Jace say?" She asks as I hold the hilt of my seraph blade. "He wants us to leave now. He said Valentine is on his way. Continue searching for the book, I'll inform the others." I say before walking out of the library to find the group.