Chapter 17

EDITED - 02/15/19

________________________________________

'Love is when the other person's happiness

is more important

than your own.' 

- H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

________________________________________  

YVANNA

  I flutter my eyes open slowly. My eyes feel so heavy, maybe it's because of the excessive crying these past few hours. "Alec?" I call out weakly, I hear a low groan of approval and I know he's awake. "I don't want to keep you here, I know you have important matters to attend to." I mutter weakly and I feel his arms tighten around me.

  I feel his lips on my forehead, kissing it gently. "Just promise me you'll rest, alright? You're weak, and I'll bring food later on alright?" He asks in concern and I just nod my head weakly. I don't have the energy to speak anymore and I just want to rest and forget about my brother. He was supposed to be there, but he chose her. He will always choose her from now on.

  I'm no longer his priority, I'm no longer his first option. He will choose that girl over me as along as she's alive and right now, I should be thanking Alec for helping me. He's going to be my husband soon and he'll be a priority since he's my husband, a part of the family – my family.

  I know Alec doesn't want to leave me right now but I just need to be alone. I feel him stand up before walking towards my side of the bed. "I'll be back soon." He says and places a kiss on my forehead before leaving. I let out a sigh before closing my eyes.

---

ALEC

  I head towards the forensic lab to see the forsaken from earlier on top of a table. "We need to make sure no magic was used to make this. I'm calling the High Warlock to come in to consult." Lydia states just as I let the door swing shut behind me. "Magnus Bane, to come here to the Institute?" I ask before crossing my arms.

  I don't know how Yvanna is familiar with him but I don't trust him because he seems to know about my sister. "Yes, is there a problem?" She asks and I look at her seriously before shaking my head no. "No, not at all. Magnus is one powerful warlock." I mutter before looking at the forsaken again.

  It is different than other forsakens, this one is strong. "Do you know him well?" Lydia asks and I look at her. "Not that much, but we met before." I explain before feeling my phone vibrate in my pocket but I choose to ignore it. "I actually can't wait to meet him." She says excitedly.

  I can't think straight right now, after what I found out and what happened earlier, it's messing me up. "Did you know that my great ancestor – Henry Branwell, who was the last of the Branwells to run an Institute and Magnus Bane invented the portal?" She asks happily and I give her a small smile.

  She loves her family, and she's proud of it but right now I can't think about family. "No, just add that to the list of things I didn't know." I state angrily before standing near the entrance and she follows. "Alec, I'm sorry. You shouldn't have to find out your parents were ex-Circle members, not like that." She explains.

  I cross my arms in front of me in anger. "You mean from you? You shouldn't have been the one I found out from." I explain as calmly as possible but failed. "You know there's a ban about talking about the Circle till now." She explains and I roll my eyes. "Yeah, how convenient for my parents." I state angrily.