Chapter 11

“She did what?” Hendrix asked in mid laugh. We were driving home, listening to our favorite band, Up Dharma Down. I told him about Vittoria, about how she just stumbled to the cabin. I recounted everything that happened during his absence and he was all laughs.

“It was just a friendly peck on the forehead, dude. Just an assuring, comforting peck from a friend. You’re so malicious,” I explained, smiling manically.

“Uh, Caleb? How long have we been friends?” he asked, and I was perplexed at the sudden change of subject.

“Since we were kids?” I answered.

“Right. So that means I can tell if what you’re saying is complete bull.

I just laughed.

“You know, I think we’ll get along just great. She’s great, you know. Everything feels light when she starts to talk. She’s far different from the other women I know,” I explained as I tried to conjure Vittoria’s image in my head, and I already felt myself starting to drift away from reality.

He punched me lightly on the bicep, teasing me.

“I’m excited to meet her.” Hendrix replied, and I can tell that he was grinning.

It was well past eight when I arrived. Hendrix walked me to the front door and offered to walk me to my room. I refused and after a couple minutes of debate he finally gave in. My father’s hearty laugh greeted me along the doorway and in that instant I grinned. He was watching another episode of Family Guy, and his laughter was so contagious I began laughing as well. I felt his strong arm lead me to the sofa where he seated me and gave me pizza and beer.

We talked and watched TV for another hour or so. I told him about the woman I met at the cabin and he asked me couple of things about her. My father seemed amused because he was occasionally tapping my shoulder. I didn’t know what that meant. Maybe he was proud because I finally got to talk to him about a woman. A few moments more and the phone rang.

“Could you get that, son? I need to go to the bathroom,” my dad said as he stood.

One of the characters in the sitcom threw a punch line and I laughed because it was undeniably funny. I was still laughing when I picked up the phone.

“Hello,” I greeted mid-laugh.

There was no answer.

“Hello?” I greeted once more.

Static.

The laughter on my face was completely wiped away by confusion and annoyance.

“No prank calls please. People are trying to rest here. Good bye.” I said, evidently pissed.

I was about to put the phone back to its cradle when the nervous, wavering voice at the end of the line whispered, “I know where your mother is.”