Chapter 17

It took Hendrix an excruciating fifteen minutes to arrive. I was crying then, both out of disappointment with myself and my concern for Vittoria. I was straining my ears for something, anything that would make me know that she was safe, but heard nothing. I was kicking the ground aimlessly because of frustration. I wanted to blame myself for not being capable of doing things on my own. She was protecting me when it was me who should be protecting her.

“What happened? Calm down, Cal,” Hendrix said as he rushed after me and made my ranting stop.

“Vittoria. She came back to the cabin. We have to go after her.” I said as I walked towards the line of brushes.

“Woah, wait. You’ll hurt yourself.” Hendrix said as he pulled be back. “I’ll look for her. Stay here.”

“No! I don’t want to stand here feeling useless. I’m coming with you. I need to find her,” I yelled.

“Will you calm the fuck down?” Hendrix yelled.

That made me shut up.

“I want to help you, Cal, I do. Stop being so difficult. We both know everything’s changed now. And I know it was because of me. This is my only way to make it up to you. Don’t make me shove you inside the car.”

I became silent once more as I felt Hendrix tap my shoulder and walk away from me.

After almost a full hour, I heard him come back. He was breathing heavily, the task of searching the whole area took its toll on him.

“Are you sure she went back? There was no one there,” He said.

I didn’t have to answer. I just dropped to my knees and felt hot tears roll down my cheeks as I whispered, “He took her.”