Chapter 25

Hendrix jerked awake. He was brought back from his dreamless sleep by the steady rhythm of the pulse oximeter. He realized that he fell asleep on the hospital bedside, and quickly checked the time. It was one in the morning and he wasn’t able to go home. He didn’t want to go home anyway; he wanted to stay beside his friend until he woke up. He stood up slowly and watched his friend sleep. Countless tubes were snaking everywhere, and his friend seemed oblivious to them all. I’ve never seen him so frail, so fragile, he thought, as a tear fell down his cheek. He remembered the incident in Philip’s car, where his friend mumbled the names Angela and Vittoria repeatedly, as if he was calling out to them. He was afraid that it was something bad, and he tried to call his friend back to reality.

 The doctor said that his friend suffered from meningitis, and he was currently being medicated. He called his mother as soon as his friend was confined; the poor fella didn’t have anyone from his family to be there for him. He moved closer to his friend and touched his forehead, and though he didn’t do it often, he prayed.

 Two hours passed and a couple of nurses have already walked in and out of the room. He watched the latest season of NBA on the television as he munched on a cold slice of pizza delivered by his mother a while ago. The NBA was a replay, and he was tired of watching TV. He stood up and stretched and went to the hospital closet. He was looking for his PSP when he saw his friend’s backpack. His friend left his pack in his car before they went to Philip’s house, and after the unpleasant incident, Philip was courteous enough to drive his car to the hospital. He decided to take his friend’s things with him in the room in case the hospital needed anything, like records and identification cards. He opened his friends backpack and eyed the laptop. He was bored after all, and decided to read some of his friend’s write ups. He turned it on and found the folder “Poems” under the Documents icon. He moved the cursor to the folder and clicked it. He read the first one on the list which was titled, “Why was I not born a Beatles fan?” and laughed as he read through it. He read a couple more until he saw the last title on the list. He moved the cursor to the file and clicked it open.

 Serendipity

Sought and fought for by all men

by which World’s wonders all began

The truth and fallacies that come with this:

The kiss of love, and love’s first kiss

Gravity was drawn from beneath my feet

When you first touched my face in the summer heat

Darkness and light found its way to me

This is simply life’s serendipity

If ever love learns to walk away from us

Then cry we should, and cry we must

But know that I will have you until the last of my breath

For love transcends reason, life, and death

 Hendrix closed the laptop, smiling. He was fascinated by his friend’s talent and heart. Just as he was putting the laptop back in his friend’s pack, the beeping from the oximeter increased its pace. His eyes widened and his hands shook. He ran to the nurses’ station and told them about what was happening. The nurses rushed to his friend’s room along with a doctor as Hendrix stood dumbstruck outside the door. He entered the room and heard the steady beeping of the oximeter, indicating that it was a flat line. He stood there as a tear rolled down his cheek, watching the medical team pumping his friend’s chest. He was led outside by one of the nurses, and sat outside the hospital room. He didn’t notice the tears streaming down his face as he conjured memories of his friend, happy and contented. Are you really going to leave us, Caleb? He thought as he wiped his face. Then he remembered the way his friend looked when he talked about his mother; when he talked about Vittoria. There was always something there, in his blind eyes, something that stirred Hendrix’s emotion. There was always a peaceful, calm look in his eyes every time he talked about everyone he loved. Hendrix ran his hand on his hair and breathed deeply, and then he understood. He understood perfectly.

 You know Caleb, you still owe me a round of Watchdog on Playstation four, he thought. But now you will have to wait a long time for player two there, brother. He smiled.

 Hendrix’s mother arrived and asked him what was happening. He remained quiet and stood in front of the door. There was a peaceful look in Hendrix’s eyes too, as he rested his palm on the door.

“How is Caleb, Hendrix? Is he going to be okay??” his mother asked.

But know that I will have you until the last of my breath, for love transcends reason, life, and death, he murmured. He kissed his palm and rested it on the door once more before he turned around to face his mother. He pulled her close and held her tight, and with a smile on his face and a tear on his cheek, he said, “Never been better.”