Chapter 23

We drove for what seemed like forever. Various thoughts swarmed my head just as we were driving. I wanted to ask her why she ran away like that. I wanted to ask her why she left me hanging. There were a lot of questions that needed answers, but I decided not to ask them anyway. I knew it was futile. What was important was that I had to know that she was safe. It didn't matter if she wanted to see me again or not. I just wanted know that she's doing well.

After a few minutes of driving and endlessly asking around how to get there, we finally arrived. Hendrix helped me out of the car and led me to the front door. I can feel beads of sweat forming on my forehead and wiped them with my cold, shaky hands. I breathed in deeply, and shook my head clear.

"You ready?" Hendrix asked.

"Sort of," I answered wryly.

A woman answered on the first knock. She smelled of lilacs and plum and sounded like she was tired. I guessed from her voice that she was probably mid-forties.

"Yes?" The woman asked.

"Hi, I'm Hendrix and this is my friend Caleb. We are looking for a friend, and someone told us that this is the place," Hendrix explained.

"And who might that be?" She asked.

"Her name is Vittoria and—"

"What?" The woman seemed to be confused.

"Her name is Vittoria, ma'am. We're her friends."

Silence.

"Ma'am?"

"You better get inside."

The house smelled of scented candles and fresh flowers. It felt cozy and comfortable. The woman offered us seats and Hendrix sat me on the couch.

"Why are you here?" The woman asked.

"Like I said ma'am, we're looking for her."

"Do you know my daughter?"

"I do, ma'am," it was me who answered.

"Are you friends from high school?" she asked.

As I was just about to answer, I heard the door open. The scent of car perfume wafted the room and I guessed it was the father. I stood up as a reflex and said my pleasantries. I waited for Hendrix to say something but he never did. Suddenly, the room was filled with tension.

"What are you doing here?" the man said. His voice was familiar to me and after a few moments the answer finally came.

"Philip?" I asked.

"You know each other?" The woman interrupted.

"Uh, yes, Julie. They uh, came to ask about a car a few days ago." The man answered.

I wanted to interject, but I decided it wasn't the time.

"What are you boys doing here?" He asked again.

This time, I answered. "We're looking for Vittoria, your daughter. I'm friends with her and—"

"Wait, what?" He asked, confused.

"I'm friends with her, Philip. I was with her that day. She was the one I was talking to."

"What is he talking about Philip? What day?" The woman asked.

"What bullcrap is this, Caleb? There was nobody there. You were talking to my daughter?" he laughed manically. "That's impossible," he added.

"You heard us talking, Philip. I was with her. She was the one who went back to the cabin."

"Cabin? What cabin?" The woman interjected.

"Shut up, Julie!" Philip yelled.

"I need to see her, Philip. Where is she?" I asked.

"You need to see her?" He asked as I heard him pull out a drawer. He moved towards me, grabbed my hand and put something on my palm.

"What is this?" I asked, confused.

"That's her wrist tag. She had colon cancer. She died three weeks ago."