Chapter 22

Three days have passed since my father was incarcerated. That afternoon after we went to Philip’s office, I called the cops. Some would say that it was a heartless thing to do, sending your own father to prison. I loved him, yes, but that didn’t mean I had to let him get away with what he did. I owed that to my mother. I owed her that much.

 I had been visiting my father, and he never changed. He was still surprised to see me every day, still making me feel that he was there for me in everything that I did. I forgave him. I didn’t want to go on with my life keeping grudges with my own father. He paid his debts willingly. That night as I heard the sirens wailing, I waited for him to stand up and run away. But he never did. Instead, he put his arms around me and held me tight and told me it was the right thing to do.

 Hendrix went to Philip’s office and asked him which cemetery my mother was buried. He gave him the address and specific instructions on how to get there. He then fetched me from the house and we hurriedly went to a flower shop for a basket of fresh roses. My mother loved roses, especially white ones. I used to watch her take her time on them in her garden when I was little.

 We drove for an hour or so to the cemetery. We talked about a lot of things as we did. Hendrix told me he called all the numbers that we took from the three Vittorias on Facebook. He told me that only one of them was functioning and that the Vittoria who lived there had been in Singapore for the last six months studying interior decoration. As for the two numbers, the operator said that they transferred their residencies. Nothing we can do about that, I told him. Sometimes it’s hard to find those who do not want to be found, I remembered my dad saying. Maybe she had enough. After all, she was a beautiful, carefree woman. The world had so much to offer for her, and as for myself, well, I’m just a blind liability.

 Hendrix led me to where she was laid in her rest. I took my time to pray, and knelt down. I fumbled for her tombstone as tears fell from my face. I kissed the tombstone and smiled.

“Hi mama,” I whispered. “Look what I brought you.”

 I beckoned for Hendrix to hand me the basket.

 “Cal, I should probably leave you two alone. Give you some privacy,” He said as he handed me the basket. “I’ll just be around. Call me when you need me.”

 I nodded and went back to my mother.

 “I miss you, mom. I never thought we would be reunited this way. I waited for so long to see you again,” I cried. “I wish I could say that I’m glad to see you, but I guess I’ll have to save that for next time.”

 I shifted and laid down next to my mother’s resting place. The place smelled of fresh trimmed grass and flowers. I closed my eyes as I imagined my mother smiling at me while tending to her garden of roses. Memories are the best way to see, I recalled Alice telling me. I smiled as I indeed saw my mother, happy and carefree and alive.

 I remained that way for almost an hour when Hendrix tapped my lap.

 “What is it, Hen?” I asked as I got up.

“My uncle has a friend. He’s a private investigator. I asked him to see what he can find about the two numbers that weren’t functioning. He said the family who owned the other number migrated to the States a year ago. The other, however, transferred to Willow town. This is the complete address,” He said as he handed me a piece of paper.

“Please read it to me,” I said.

“145 Brenner Heights, Willow town,” he said.

“Let’s go,” I answered.