e l e v e n ;

[ october 29th, 1976 ]

Ever since Moony had told the boys Octavia's feelings, James hadn't left the poor girl alone. All the boys stayed true to their word, and hadn't let their knowledge slip. Remus was more than grateful, and even a little happy because he's noticed Octavia and James getting closer and closer as every day passed.

Today was the Hogsmeade day, and with how close the two friends had gotten, the Marauder's were sure that today was the day they'd share their feelings with each other verbally. They all had the agreement to walk to Hogsmeade together, but the boys knew to leave the two alone as soon as they entered it.

So there they were; Remus, Sirius and Octavia all waiting outside the school for James and Peter to arrive. They had agreed to meet at midday, but it was now half past and they didn't know what was possibly keeping their friends from joining them. As each minute passed, Octavia felt more and more disappointed. She knew it was too good to be true. James probably found another girl and made his way there with her. She huffed when the clock hit one o'clock in the afternoon.

The boys were still making easy conversation and seemed unphased by James' tardiness when Ashton walked over to them. "Hey Octavia, you heading off to Hogsmeade?"

"Yeah, well, I don't know actually." She spoke, Ashton was easily able to pick up the sadness laced in her words. He put the pieces together and noticed two of her friends missing.

"Do you want to maybe come with me? It's getting later and if we don't leave soon then you won't get to spend a lot of time there." He offered, and alarm bells went off in all of the boys' heads. If she said yes, James would kill them for letting her go with Ashton.

"Actually, she's already going with James. He asked her earlier this week." Sirius butted in, a smug look on his face.

Ashton looked around over-dramatically, as if to rub it in that James was no where to be seen. He then looked down at his watch. "Well, he doesn't seem to be here, does he?" The boys were almost fuming, they wouldn't let this guy make James look bad in front of the girl he fancies.

Just as they were about to say something rude (Octavia assumed), she spoke up. "Yeah, may as well. Lets head off."

Ashton smiled down at her and they walked off, making easy conversation. They boys all looked at the ground. "We're fucked."

► ▷

"I really think we should have waited for James." Remus whispered as him and Sirius hid behind one of the buildings in Hogsmeade, watching over Ashton and Octavia. The knew that the second James realised that Octavia left with Ashton instead of him, he would blow it. They unanimously decided that watching over the two students would be a good idea, which they've been doing for almost two hours now.

Octavia and Ashton were walking down the street now, going in and out of a shop every so often. The boys were so focused on spying on the two friends that footsteps behind them almost made Sirius squeal. They both turned to see James standing next to Peter, who was holding the invisibility cloak. James was fuming, "Would someone care to explain why Tavia is with bloody Ashton?" He waited for a second before continuing, "You know what, nevermind. I'll ask her myself."

The young boy fumed as he walked over to his crush and the git trying to steal her. Octavia turned and her eyes widened, not thinking he would end up coming to Hogsmeade. Without so much as a 'hello', James choked out "Octavia, I thought we were going together, remember?" James spoke, refusing to make eye contact with Ashton.

Octavia was mad, but she kept a calm persona as she answered her friend. "Well we were, but I got a bit bored waiting out in the cold for an hour as you stood me up." She scoffed, turning her back on James.

Fuck, James felt horrible. Professor Flitwick kept him behind in class for throwing notes to Peter. How could he have forgotten they arranged a time? "Oh shit, Tave wait." He grabbed her arm and spun her around quickly, once again being face to face with her. "I was given a detention, I'm so sorry! I would never purposely stand you up."

Octavia felt a lot better once he said that, but she couldn't help but still feel a little upset. She was supposed to be here with him. It was going to be a cute day with the guy she liked. She sighed once more. "It's fine James, really. But I'm here with Ashton now. I'll see you later back in the common room."

With that she turned her back, and Ashton directed her into the Three Broomsticks. James walked over to the boys and snatched the invisibility cloak from Peter. He flung it over them all and stomped into the Three Broomsticks. He accepted the fact that he fucked up once again, but he couldn't accept that she was with Ashton.

James was the captain of the Gryffindor team, for Merlin's sake! Ashton bloody Parker had nothing on him. The four boys took a seat at a table directly next to their two victims, but it was further enough away for them to be able to whisper to each other.

James almost gagged as they made small talk. And trust me, it didn't go unnoticed by him when Ashton would subtly move closer to Tavia. His hand was clenched around the end of the table and his knuckles were turning white.

Eventually, the two had finished a conversation and just sat there. The boys could tell that Octavia didn't think anything of it, but they saw the look in Ashton's eye. He leaned in closer quickly and placed his lips on Octavia's.

Remus flung his hands over James' mouth as Sirius grabbed a hold of his hands

Remus flung his hands over James' mouth as Sirius grabbed a hold of his hands. They didn't want to risk James lashing out right there and exposing them, let alone the cloak. He grumbled loudly against Remus' hand, almost loud enough for people to hear. Peter hit James across the head, trying to get him to shut up. Octavia was startled at the sudden action, and it took her a second to come to terms with it. She pulled away almost instantly and looked at him.

She shook her head, trying to get the words to come out. Ashton looked down at the table, "I'm really sorry. I must have been getting the wrong vibe from you.."

Octavia, still unable to think of any words got up quickly and left the Three Broomsticks. What was wrong with her? The most gorgeous boy in Gryffindor kissed her and she ran away?

James Potter and the way he makes her feel is going to be the death of her.

► ▷

published [12/2/2017]