t w e l v e ;

[ october 30th, 1976 ]

"I wish I was even remotely as organized as you, Alice." Lily huffed out as Octavia nodded in agreement.

Not long ago, Dumbledore announced there was going to be a ball held on Halloween night. Surprisingly, he let the students decide and held a vote on what the theme would be. It came down to just a normal Halloween dance, or a masquerade ball.

The votes ended up being quite even and he shortly announced to the school that it would be a normal Halloween ball. It was the only thing the school was talking about and Octavia herself, was quite excited.

Mary, Lily, Marlene and Octavia were all sitting in their dormitory, listening to Alice tell them how she asked Frank to be her date. This shocked all four of the girls, but they couldn't help but feel happy for the girl. She'd been crushing on Frank since fourth year and she finally had a date with him!

"I was so relieved when he said yes!" Alice concluded, smiling like crazy. "What about you guys, who are you asking?"

We all shrugged in response. "Sirius has asked me a couple of times, I've said no." Marlene gagged jokingly.

"Come on Marlene," Octavia exclaimed, "We all know you have the hots for that boy, why would you say no?"

"Exactly!" Lily laughed, "He's one of the hottest guys in Gryffindor and you turned him down. Are you mentally stable?"

"We all know he's a player!" Marlene fumed, rolling her eyes.

"Was a player. He's been trying to get your attention for ages, girl. You should go for it. Give him a chance." Lily encouraged.

Marlene sighed and looked to Octavia. "You're his best friend, you probably know all about him. Is he being genuine or is he just trying to get into my panties?"

Octavia giggled to herself. She was so into him yet she couldn't recognize his honest intentions. "Go to the dance with him, trust me."

Marlene nodded to herself, a ghost of a smile on her lips knowing Octavia wouldn't allow her to go with him if he didn't like her back.

"And you," Octavia turned to Lily, a stern look on her normally peaceful face, "I hope you're going with Mr RJ Lupin."

The girls all continued with their gossip for what seemed like hours until they finally ran out of stories to tell and secrets to spill. They picked themselves up and cleaned themselves off. Octavia was so happy to finally have a day with the girls after being with the boys for so long. Whilst they all got ready they decided that they were going to spend their day in Hogsmeade and go shopping for costumes to wear tomorrow night for the Halloween dance.

"We should do a group thing." Alice squealed excitedly.

The girls all considered it as they got dressed. Mary nodded at Alice's words, "Okay, so what should we do?"

"Oh, I beg of you, Disney princesses!" Lily shouted, almost smudging her light blue eyeliner as she applied it.

"Slutty Disney princesses!" Marlene added, a smirk playing on her face.

Octavia looked at the girl, her eyebrow arched. "Hm, because we know Sirius will love that." Marlene slapped the brunette, only to have a wink sent her way. "Okay, so Disney princesses it is."

"Dibs Cinderella!" Marlene said, changing the subject. All the girls groaned, wanting to be Cinderella also. In the end, they came to the solution that Lily would be Ariel, Mary would be Belle, Octavia would be Jasmine and Alice would be Snow White. They each had similar features to their princess, which is why they were content with how they organised it.

It was almost two o'clock in the afternoon when they hauled themselves downstairs and into the common room. The pack of girls were about to leave when James jumped in front of Octavia, blocking her path. "Tave, hey I haven't seen you all morning."

"Yeah, I was in my dorm with the girls, sorry." She smiled sweetly, not noticing as he lead her a few steps away from the waiting girls.

"No that's fine," James shrugged it off, but he internally celebrating that she was with them and not Ashton. "I just wanted to ask you something." Octavia kept her smile up, silently waiting for James to finish his sentence. "I was wondering if you'd like to accompany me to the ball tomorrow night?"

Remus and Sirius smirked from a few feet back. Their backs were turned on the two students, but they were fully aware of the conversation taking place. "I would love to." Octavia grinned widely, internally scolding herself for being so eager.

"Now that, my friend," Remus smiled at Sirius, "Is game."

"I'll show you game." Sirius said as he walked over to Marlene for the hundredth time in the past two days. He puffed out his chest slightly and said, "Marlene, I think you and I should go to the dance tomorrow. The two hottest people in Gryffinfor, we'd be a power couple."

She was about to yell at him and call him a wide variety of names that wouldn't normally be heard in a civil conversation when she thought of what Octavia told her. She caught herself and looked up to the boy, nodding slightly. "Yeah-yes I would love to. Thank you."

Eventually the girls left the common room and began their walk to Hogsmeade while James and Sirius just stared at each other, too shocked to say anything.

► ▷

When the girls got back it was late, any later and they would have gotten in trouble. They quickly headed to their dormitory with their bags of makeup and dresses in hand. The girls all but chucked the bags onto the floor and fell into bed, exhausted from their day. "I'm going to do it." Everyone looked at Lily, waiting for an explanation. "I'm going to ask Remus."

"Aw, that's really great Lils! When are you thinking?"

"Right now." The red head got up quickly and walked out of the dorm, catching the girls by surprise. They all laughed, and Mary quickly followed behind her. When the two girls went down they noticed only Remus and Peter by the fire, while two girls and one boy in their seventh year sat on the other side of the room.

The other two Marauders, however, were under a certain cloak, listening in to what should have been private girl talk. "He's adorable." Octavia sighed. "I'm really looking forward to tomorrow night."

"Me too!" Alice agreed, "Plus I'll be dressed as Snow White, it's going to be badass." They two troublemakers looked at eachother, both having the same idea placed in their heads.

► ▷

published [18/2/2017]