I'm never babysitting again

It was the middle of July, kids were out of school and parents wanted some freedom from their overbearing children. I was a a good babysitter around my neighborhood, so my name had been passed around. A wealthy couple had asked me to babysit for them, considering their pay I was all up for the task. They had two kids, Jody who was only seven and Trevor who was three years old.

It was a Thursday night and the couple were going out, something about a friends wedding rehearsal. They had little to none rules; the kids be in bed at nine, and make sure to give Jody her pills. She didn't say what for but I did not question her.

The house was gigantic, but thankfully the kids stayed with me. We were watching T.V together.

"Can we stay up late?" Jody asks, her puppy dog eyes looking up at me.

"Jody, your mom said nine."

"I know but I don't like to sleep in my room..."

"What? Why is that?" I look down at her, she seemed tensed.

"There's a monster in my room...he's white and his eyes are all black...and he has scary claws!" She wined and held onto my waist. I could see that she was upset, her body was also a bit shaken up.

"Oh sweetie," I rubbed her back softly. "Before you go to bed I'll check for any scary monsters."

"Okay."

Around bed time I managed to successfully put Trevor to sleep, he obviously didn't see any monsters unlike his sister. I heard about children cry about monsters under their bed or in their closet, so I wasn't exactly phased by this. It was normal, kids just had a big imagination unlike us adults. Jody hadn't moved from her spot downstairs, she sat quietly on the couch with her legs folded and eyes on the screen.

"It's time to look for monsters." I smiled at her. She seemed happy at my attempt, stretching my hand towards her she gladly took it.

Jody hadn't said anything as we walked up the linen stairs. Her room was lit up, she must have hated the darkness in there. It was a nice room too, she had a baby pink colored bed, a white wooden desk that had various of pencils and earsers, and even a small flat screen on her wall. Jody stood in the doorway and I investigated. I swung the closet door open to see nothing but clothes, looked under her bed, even in her bathroom which was completly desolate.

"See, no monsters." I smiled at her.

"They could be hiding." She bit her nails, and did not move from her spot.

"How about I put a movie on for you while you try to sleep."

She smiles and nods. I tuck her into to bed and find her a movie, she picked little mermaid. I just hope she gets some sleep tonight and her nerves calm. 

"Goodnight, Jody."

"Goodnight..." she says softly.

I sat on the couch and watched a movie on Netflix, until I heard Jody scream for help. Quickly I ran up the stairs and barged into her room. Tears streamed down her face and I held her close to me. Jody was shaking fiercely, and she had a scratch on her arm. It wasn't bleeding or anything but it was red.

"It was in here- I'm scared!" She cried.

"Do you wanna sleep on the couch?" I ask.

"Please..."

Jody stayed downstairs, and I stayed in her room go investigating again. There was nothing wrong with her room, her closet was closed and so was her bathroom door. But maybe there really is something in here, maybe she's really seeing something. Or she could've been having some crazy night terror. Oh shoot! Her pills! I totally forgot to give her the pills, maybe that's why she's having bad dreams or worse seeing crazy things.

I run downstairs, "Jody I totally forgot-"

She wasn't laying on the couch. Panic bubbled up inside my chest.  Quickly I searched the house, looking in every cabinet and every closet there was. But not luck, she was gone. There was one place I hadn't looked...her room.

Slowly I walked towards her door, her pink door. The feeling of fear settled in me. I pushed the door open to see a static T.V and a little girl in front of it, watching the static. I knew it was Jody.

"Jody, I've been looking everywhere for you."

Jody ignored me.

I stood in the doorway, feeling terrified. She was scaring me, I didn't know what to do.

"What?" She spoke up but didn't turn to look at me. Her eyes still wandered around the bland static screen. "If I do that will you leave me alone? Promise?" Hope piqued her voice. Jody turned around and stood up.

"I'm sorry." She frowned.

"About what?"

"They said they would leave me alone if I killed you." She smiled.

Terrified I ran downstairs, the mock of her feet behind me. Jody kicked my ankle and I fell hard on the floor. It hurt but I ignored it, my will to survive was stronger. Jody had a knife in her hand she walked towards me. I quickly gathered myself off the floor and ran towards the door. Jody started screaming manically. I unlocked the door and ran out the door. The whole way home I ran. Usually I just walked everywhere.

I never talked to that couple again. They didn't call, text, or email me. This even must've been a reoccurring one. The pills must've been for her sanity, something was seriously wrong with her.