She was my best friend...

When I was in kindergarten I made my first best friend. Her name was Marie, and she had long blonde hair and deep blue eyes. I remember her perfectly, every shadow across her face, every curl of her hair, even the smell of her peach perfume. Marie was such a happy spirit, always had me happy too. We would have sleepovers every weekend, make sheet forts, eat a lot of junk food too!

Until she died. I remember it so clearly, it was the middle of July. Marie's parents had relatives in New York so they sent her there for a couple weeks. The story was that she was crossing the road, as she started walking a taxi cab wasn't paying attention to the road and hit her. It was awful, I remember crying even though I was so young. I understood what happened, she was murdered.

Twelve years later is when it started. I was seventeen at the time and my mom decided to leave me home alone, which I liked I was kind of a homebody. My favorite show was on and I was laying on the couch with a bowl of popcorn in my lap. My eyelids started to grow heavy so I turned the tv off and hauled myself off the couch. All of the sudden my house begun to feel chilly, almost as if a window had been opened. I ignored it, figuring it was my little brother turning the air conditioning on. I dragged my feet against the linoleum, feeling fatigued and anxious. I just ignored it and fell onto my bed, not even bothering to change my clothes or wash my face.

I drift off into a deep slumber.

I remember waking up in the middle of the night, it was three in the morning. Usually I slept through the whole night but tonight was different. The feeling of dread crashed into me, my chest frost heavy and breathing became complicated. I slowly sat up on my bed and rubbed the sleep out of my eyes.  Across my room was a short figure, it was a small girl. I could tell by her ponytail. She walked toward my bed, her shadowy figure turned into a human one. She was wearing a pink sunflower dress and white platforms. What really striked me as terrifying  was the blood splattered on her dress and pets of her face. At first I didn't recognize her at all, until I noticed a necklace around her neck, it was a half broken heart that read 'BFF'. It was Marie. Her facial expression was almost nothingness but her eyes spoke in fear and dreadfulness.

"They have me..." she whispered, sending chills down my spine and goosebumps across my skin.

"W-Who?" I squeak.

"The bad people with no face..."

I was speechless, fear took over me.

She just stared through me for a minute, her blue eyes turned poisonous as if she wanted to hurt me.then her voice changed.

"Your next." Her voice wasn't small or feminine it was male and malicious. Marie flashed a smile and revealed sharpened teeth.

Before I could react my body lurched from my bed and to the ground. It was a dream. I quickly stood up and investigated my room, it was empty. Thank god. It was all a dream...

That's what I thought.

I left my room for a drink of water, the kitchen lamp was off which is weird because we usually leave it on. I turn the knob on the lamp but no luck. The light bulb must've died.

"I see you." A chilling voice whispers.

I quickly turn around to see no one there. Maybe I'm just hearing things. Maybe...