Chapter One.

The annoying sound of my alarm clock woke me from my peaceful slumber. I rolled over and swatted my hand at it, barely hitting the snooze button before my hand slid down the side of my night stand. I sighed, slowly peeling my eyes open, hating to wake up on this dreadful Monday morning. The metallic alarm clock flashed six Am – the same time I have woken up for the past seven years, ever since I graduated college. I hated mornings, you could ask anyone that knew me and they would tell you they would rather have dinner with the devil than deal with me on a Monday morning.

I reluctantly slipped out of my bed and pulled on my old worn bathrobe, that was tossed across my desk chair beside my bed. It was nearly summer time, and I hated every morning I woke up and it was blazing hot in my apartment. It was almost like my AC shut off on me knowing how desperately I hated waking up in my own sweat. And being the middle of May in New York City, it sure got extremely hot. When my eyes finally adjusted to the bright light coming in through the window above my bed, I grabbed my cell phone to see if anyone had bothered to call. 

I had three missed calls from my mother, and four texts. All of which I deleted before reading. And my best friend, well only friend really, Talia texted me reminding of our dinner date on the weekend. I quickly sent her a text letting her know I remember, before walking out of my bedroom and into my large kitchen.

Most secretaries around here don't make too much money, but my boss was extremely generous. He was the reason I was able to afford this gorgeous apartment on the upper east side. My living room was mainly made of windows, except for the one wall separating it from the kitchen. It had a beautiful view of central park, which I could sit and look at for hours. After admiring the view for several moments I quickly made myself a cup of coffee before sitting on my bar stool and opening my laptop that was sitting on the counter. I sipped the sweet taste of the hazelnut roast coffee, before logging on to my email.

My job rarely stopped at the office. Not only did I find myself working later than normal, but I also was sometimes working late at home, and very early in the morning. I worked for Cameron James, CEO of James enterprises here in New York. They were one of the most successful businesses in the world, and I took pride to be able to work for them. I was not only Cameron James's secretary, but I worked as his assistant as well. So not only did I have to juggle his schedule at work, but his personal life was also mine to maintain. It was a tough job, but a rewarding job none the less.

I checked to see that Cameron had emailed me about an hour ago, this man never sleeps I swear.

Ms. Avery Montgomery,

I apologize for the early email, but I need this handled urgently. A benefit for the company has come up for Saturday, and I need you to handle my usual. Also please call Ms. Jessica Schwartz to ask her to accompany as my date.

Sincerely,

Cameron James. CEO. 

I sighed looking down at my email and chugged the rest of my coffee, getting up and sticking the purple mug in the sink. The normal for Cameron was pretty much dry cleaning his tuxedo, ordering a limousine and things of that sort, but I hated the times he asked me to call him a date. He was a very busy man and rarely had time to think let alone ask a woman out on a date. But it hurt worse knowing you were calling a woman for the man you had been in love with for four years.

I hated that I loved my boss, hated it with everything in me. Loving someone who would never love you back was probably the most painful thing I have ever been through in my life, and I have been through my fair share of trauma. I despised seeing him in the arms of other women, seeing their fake blonde hair and spray tans sticking out on page six of the newspaper after the paparazzi caught them at an event over the weekends. Every single one of them were only into him for his good looks or money, I was probably the only woman who actually got inside of who he actually was.