Chapter Five.

When I was a little girl, I was never the one that wished to be a princess. I never watched Cinderella thinking that some day that could be me. No, that just didn't happen. I was more the girl who sat on her daddy's lap and watched the Jets play football, and scream along when she thought something good happened. I played baseball in the street with the neighborhood kids, scraping my knees up with the rest of the boys. I came home daily with new bruises and scrapes, so much so that my mother stopped asking where they came from and just pointed me in the direction of the peroxide.

That's why looking at myself in the mirror was so foreign to me. I really looked like a princess. Tonight was the night for the company's benefit, and like Cameron asked, I went and bought a new gown for the occasion. It was emerald green, with rhinestones along the breasts and down the sides. It was strapless, but with my hair cascading down my shoulders with soft waves, you really couldn't tell. The green in the dress made my already bright green eyes stand out even more. And with the smoky black eye that Talia did for me, I looked exquisite.

Talia went shopping with me last minute and helped me pick it out, I had totally forgotten I had nothing to wear for this thing. "You look amazing Ray!" Talia exclaimed looking over my shoulder to see my reflection.

When we were younger Talia and I often got mistaken for sisters. We both had the same shade of brown hair and the same small line of freckles that went across our noses. Although her eyes were brown where my were green. I've known Talia since I was seven, and we got into a fight about a tree in our old neighborhood. She claimed she was there first, when in reality we both had been sitting in opposite branches for hours without noticing the other. And for some reason the two of us just stuck to each other like glue after that.

She lived not too far away in Greenwich Village working in an art gallery. Talia had always been more artsy that I was growing up. She would constantly be painting pictures of random things in Brooklyn, and eventually went to college for art at NYU. She was so talented and I was so proud of her accomplishments. Being best friends for over twenty years has made us as close as real sisters, and I was so thankful to have her in my life.

"Thanks. You don't think he will be there do you?" I asked Talia, turning around to grab my bag. Talia's face immediately fell, knowing exactly what I was referring too.

"I don't know, Doesn't he usually attend things like this?" She asked shrugging her shoulders. I have never been to something like this for the company, there was no need too. But as the years went on and I received more and more responsibility, I knew things of this nature would be required of me. It's been five years, I couldn't just expect to not socialize with people beyond my little quadrant of the company.

"I honestly don't know"

"Call me if you need anything, I wont hesitate to crash a party" Talia said, trying to give me an uplifting smile. It just came off as sad though. Talia knew the amount of pain this certain man caused me, and it was not going to be pleasant for me if I run into him tonight. "I know you wont" I said leaning in and giving Talia a tight hug.

She hugged me back even tighter and just held me knowing I would need a boost of confidence for tonight. "I'll be sleeping here tonight, so I wont be too far" Talia said as we pulled away and I grabbed my tiny clutch and house keys.

Talia followed me out quickly, and we said our goodbyes before I headed down to the limo. I scheduled the limo to pick me up first, giving Cameron plenty of time to get ready. Apparently Jessica Schwartz was already at his pent house. I tried not to let jealous get the best of me, but I had a hard time not pushing it to the back of my mind. Jessica wasn't the most appealing woman to be around. She was selfish and narcissistic, and always had something smart to say about the way others looked. She came from old money, and liked to flaunt it in other's faces. Of course she was a perfect angel when she was just around Cameron though.