Chapter Fourteen.

On Monday morning I wanted nothing more than to lay in bed and wallow away, but I couldn't do that. My head was pounding from everything that happened the night before, like every memory just came back to me all at once. I wish everything didn't happen that way, but there wasn't anything I could do about it now. Tommy was hell bent on killing Maxwell, where as Cameron I feel had something up his sleeve he wasn't telling me.

Last night Cameron said he needed to leave to take care of some business, told me he would come back but he never did. So I spent the night crying alone in my bed wishing he was there to hold me. I knew I would see him at the office this morning, but that didn't make the awful feeling in my stomach go away.

I sighed and rolled out of my bed, ran my brush quickly through my messy hair and slipped on a loose lavender colored dress for work. I wasn't in the mood for anything special, I wasn't in the mood to eat, I just wasn't in the mood for anything. And I trudged slowly out of my apartment and out into the heat with way too many things on my mind.

I slipped my sunglasses on to not only shield my eyes from the bright sun, but also the annoying glances of the citizens of New York. I felt like the word "Shame" was embedded on my forehead, and everyone knew what happened to me. Like the prying eyes of the people I passed knew I was raped, knew I slept with my boss and were chastising me in their brain. But every time I thought too much about what was going on, it made me walk faster. And I was at the office in record time.

I kept my sunglasses on the entire elevator ride, not wanting to even speak to Jack who was making small talk with a businessman beside me. I walked out onto my floor balancing both coffees in one hand, with my bag in the other. Several people greeted when when I walked through the large glass doors, I could only politely nod feeling my voice fail me.

"Looks like someone had a fun weekend" Bradley said from behind his desk. He gave me a wink and a knowing smile like he thought I was hungover and partied too much the night before. I just shook my head ignoring his comment and pushed my way quickly to the back where Cameron's office was. I was nervous, even more nervous than I was on my first day in the office, terrified of spilling coffee on my handsome boss.

I gently opened Cameron's office door to see he was not here, I could tell he was in the building and had been here for a while, he just currently wasn't in his office. There were empty coffee cups laying around, take out containers and files scattered around his desk. I sighed and cleaned up the trash, setting the full bag by the front door for the janitor to grab at lunch time. I reorganized all the papers and set down his new steaming coffee, until the mornings paper caught my eye.

"Preston Towers stock plummets, Maxwell Preston files for bankruptcy" The headline said, making my eyes go wide and sit back in Cameron's chair to read the rest of the article. The article told me that the majority stock holders in the company backed out and took their investment with them. Following that every other investor in the company pulled their funds and it turns out Maxwell owed more money than he was worth. Oh the irony. My mother was probably packing her belongings to move out of her fancy pent house, when she for years was flashing all the money she acquired.

Something told me Cameron had something to do with all of this, I knew he wasn't done with Maxwell, and what better way to get him where you want him then to take all his resources. Someone clearing their throat made me snap my eyes up to see Cameron standing in the doorway, his arms across his chest. He didn't look happy, he glared down at me and I had to wonder why he would have a reason to be angry with me of all people.

"Cameron, did you have something to do with this?" I asked softly, showing him the paper that had previously been laying on his large wooden desk. Cameron raised an eyebrow before walking slowly over to me. I instantly stood from his chair, feeling out of place sitting there in the first place. Cameron shrugged before grabbing the newspaper and letting his eyes graze over them. I saw a barely noticeable smirk sneak it's way across his lips before he plopped down in his chair and tossed the paper in the garbage.

"What's the matter Cameron?" I asked him, crossing my arms across my chest. Cameron glanced over at me before turning away and facing his computer, logging into his email. I sighed feeling that terrible feeling come back over me, that feeling I started to feel right after Cameron asked me out a couple of days ago. I ruined this, I knew I shouldn't have slept with him, I shouldn't have said yes to going out with him. I should have loved him from afar like I did for years, and things would be normal.

"I'm sorry I ruined everything. I'll get to work" I whispered, wiping away the tears that were steadily falling down my face. I turned away from him to walk to my office, and was almost to my door before Cameron had grabbed my arm and slammed me back against my office door. I gasped in surprise before my eyes widened seeing that same hatred in his eyes I saw the night at my mothers.

"You want to know what's the matter? You never fucking told me what that man did to you! You let me make love to you Avery, You let me be rough with you while I didn't fucking know what you had been through. You should have told me years ago what happened. I sat across from that man countless times, never knowing just how fucking evil he was!" Cameron was practically shouting at me, which only made me cry harder. He had me encased by his fists that were rested on either side of my head against my wooden door.

Cameron's eyes softened when he saw how upset I was. I was chocking back sobs, feeling my body almost fall to the ground it was shaking do bad. I never saw Cameron this upset with me, never saw him yell like this, it was frightening and overwhelming all at once. He shifted one hand and let his fingertips gently slide down my face.

"I would have protected you Avery, what I did is minuscule compared to what that man deserves. He touched the most precious thing in my life Avery, you" He said cupping my cheek in his hand. "I should have acted on these feelings years ago, I still regret all the time I could have had you in my arms Avery."

And he kissed me. Slowly, passionately, deeply. Just like my love for him. I felt my body shudder against him, his hips digging into mine in an urgency he couldn't quite control. I wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling him closer to me as our tongues did the dance of desire. Cameron grunted against me before pulling me away from his door and back against his desk.

I groaned as he pulled his lips away from mine and moved his lips to my neck, leaving feather light kisses along my collarbone. I moaned and entangled my fingers through his hair, when suddenly Cameron stopped. He pulled back quickly and looked from me to the desk he had me pinned against, and a pained look crossed his face. "Not here baby, I cant" He mumbled, and pulled me away from the desk to wrap his arms tightly around my waist.

"It's ok Cameron, You will never be him" I whispered into his ear, gently placing a kiss right under his ear. He turned his head and kissed my forehead lightly. "I know baby, But I promise you this. I will do whatever it takes to rid that man from your brain, Anything"

The way he said it sent a shiver down my spine. I wasn't sure how he planned on doing that for me, wasn't sure in which way he meant it. But I knew one thing....I was eager to find out.