Chapter Six.

Nobody will ever understand the physical pain that this man caused me, the emotional damage that still haunts me to this day. My stepfather hired me to be his secretary shortly after I graduated from college. Things were nice at first, he was sweet and made sure I felt comfortable around the office. But after working for him for around a year he began wanting more from me than just his secretary. Unfortunately for me, I said no. And he took what he wanted anyway. My mother knew about it the whole time, she actually walked in on him one day at the office.

But my mother ignored the fact that her husband had her sobbing daughter bent over a desk, and instead called me names I would rather not repeat. She blamed me and said I was leading him on, and wanted to take what she had. Apparently, since I was the one being raped week after week that I was the one who betrayed my mother.

Maxwell threatened me with unimaginable things if I told anyone, which is why my mother is the only one who knew. The only reason Talia knew was because she accidentally bumped into me wrong shortly after one day after work, and my first reaction was to grab a kitchen knife so she didn't touch me again. Talia knew me like the back of her hand, and obviously knew something was wrong.

She freaked out when I told her and ran out of my apartment at lightning speed to head to the police station. But after me begging and pleading with her not to tell, she finally gave in. Maxwell Preston was one of the most powerful men in New York, God only knew what he would do to us if we snitched on him.

I could never forgive these two horrible human beings for what they did to me, that was obvious by the heated scowl on my face. I would never understand what provoked my mother to betray her own child, and i would never understand what changed her so much in such a short amount of time. My father would roll over in his grave if he knew what happened between us.

And the thought of him made my eyes water. My amazing father who did everything for his family. I know he was looking down on me with sadness at the fact that he couldn't protect his little girl. He would be disappointed at the fact I never told Tommy, the man he raised to protect his little sister at all costs. I knew he was proud of the things I accomplished for myself. And I know he would be exceptionally happy at the fact that I defended myself against my mother. Hell, my dad would have treated her like the scum of the earth if he knew what she did, and I think that made it easier to hate her.

"Avery darling, I didn't know you would be here!" My mother exclaimed when she noticed me standing along the red carpet that led into the crowded hotel. Her outstretched claws were reaching for me, I glared at them and slapped them down the second they were inches from my face. "Mother, stop acting like nothing happened!" I shouted at her, getting frustrated that she was still pretending that she did nothing wrong. Maxwell just stood with his arm slung gently around her waist, a smirk across his face as he looked me up and down.

"I am your mother young lady!"

"Well I see no mother of mine. Just a selfish bitch" I spat at her, turning on my heel and walking in the direction of the hotel front doors. "And keep your dog on a leash" I added, glaring directly at Maxwell who was still eyeing me up and down. I finally looked away from the demented ken and Barbie, and walked inside to do my job. I was proud of myself for standing up to my mother that way, I never was one that was able to do that before.

The inside of the ballroom at the hotel was beautiful. Round tables with blood red table clothes were lined around the room with white rose center pieces in black tall oval vases. A small orchestra was playing a soft familiar piece by Bozet in the corner of the room, but the most magnificent thing about the room wasn't the beautiful gowns that the thin women were wearing or the delicious looking Hors d'oeuvres that were being served by waiters around the room. The most amazing thing was Cameron on the dance floor, with what looked like a ninety year old woman who was gushing up at him with a toothy grin.