Chapter Seventeen.

Janet's funeral was a couple of days after her death, and I had never been more busy in my life. I arranged the whole thing, while keeping up with things at the office all the while trying to comfort Cameron at the same time. It really was a beautiful service, hundreds of people from the office came to show their respects along with what I'm guessing was family friends that I had never met before.

It was held at the church she had been a member of since Cameron was a small child. It fit all of the members perfectly, and the preacher gave a beautiful sermon about appreciating the things you have in life and never taking the people in it for granted. I was seated beside Cameron during the service, letting him use me for whatever comfort he saw fit. At one point I thought he was going to squeeze my hand so hard it would fall off, but I shook off the pain knowing how badly he was hurting.

He stayed strong throughout the whole thing, but I know he just wanted a moment alone to be with his thoughts and mourn his mother. But that was hard for him to do with so many people walking up to him to pay their respects. I know he missed her dearly, but I also know he appreciated the beautiful words everyone spoke to him about his mother. How much of a beautiful soul she was, a gentle being who was taken from us too quickly.

The wake was at Cameron's apartment, catered with delicious food and and her favorite music playing in the background. I didn't really get to enjoy any of it, not that I really could enjoy myself at something meant to honor the dead. But I rarely had a chance to sit down as I was up taking care of her elderly friends, discussing work with Charlie, and making sure Cameron actually ate something.

I placed a few vegetables on a plate, with some dip and a sandwich from the catering plate, grabbed a cold beer from Cameron's fridge and wandered out of the kitchen to find him. He was sitting casually in the living room, a gentle smile on his face as he nodded to whatever the woman beside him was saying. I walked over and quietly sat down beside him not wanting to interrupt their conversation.

"Oh hello dear, are you his wife?" The woman asked, looking between Cameron and I. He gave a small laugh before wrapping his arm around the couch behind me and shook his head. "Mrs. Andrews this is is my amazing girlfriend Avery, she is the one who organized all of this for my mother" Cameron said before kissing me softly on the forehead. I smiled and introduced myself to the woman. "Nice to meet you, Mrs.Andrews" I said.

The woman looked to be around Cameron's mother's age, with short dark brown hair I could tell she periodically dyed, and bright grey eyes with crows feet around the edges. She was dressed in a simple black pantsuit with a white button down beneath it. "Mrs. Andrews was my mother's neighbor, she lived next to us even when I was a child" Cameron explained to me, and I nodded in understanding.

"You better hold on to this one Cameron, she is definitely a keeper to do all this for you" Mrs.Andrews said, reaching over and patting Cameron on the cheek. I blushed crimson as I looked down and started playing with the ends of the plastic plate in my lap. "Oh don't blush dear, I only speak the truth!" Mrs.Andrews chuckled.

"I don't plan on getting rid of her anytime soon" Cameron said softly, playing with the ends of my hair that was rested across my left shoulder. "Well I'll leave you two be, I'll catch up with you a little later sweetheart" She said. She kissed Cameron's cheek before doing the same to mine and wandering off to speak with a group of elderly women. I sighed and tried handing Cameron the small plate of food and beer.

He took the beer and chugged half of it before handing the plate back to me. "I'm not hungry sweetheart" He mumbled. "I know you haven't eaten today either, you eat it please" he said nodding to the plate of food in my hands.

I shook my head and put the plate on the end table beside the lamp before turning back to him. "How are you feeling?" I asked softly, reaching down and lacing our fingers together. He sighed and leaned his head against mine while he played with my fingers. "I miss her" he whispered. I nodded in understanding.

I remember my father's wake and I hid upstairs in my old bedroom avoiding everyone. Cameron was being much stronger than I was, but i felt this strong composure was bound to falter at any moment. "There isn't much I can say to make it better, I remember when my dad died I didn't talk to anyone for weeks. I almost dropped out of college that year" I told him, leaning my head against the back of the couch so I could see him better.

Cameron looked at me and frowned before playing with my hair once more. I loved when he did that, it was something so small that gave me comfort like no other. "You just have to remember the good times, remember how good of a person she was and take comfort knowing she was with someone who loved her when she died" I said. There really wasn't anything I could do or say to take his heartache away from him, and if I could I would. But seeing the broken look on his face made me want to try anything.

Cameron sighed, closed his eyes and rested his forehead against mine. "I'm so glad you're here Avery, I couldn't have gotten through this without you" He whispered, his breath fanning a few errant hairs away from my face. I sighed and kissed him gently on his lips. "There's nowhere else I could imagine being".

Several hours later and it was getting late. Everyone had gone home finally, as well as the caterers and the other people who were hired to work at the wake. I was beyond exhausted and i just wanted to curl up in Cameron's big fluffy bed and sleep for days. But there was still a mess in the living room to clean up, so I was walking around with a garbage bag picking up plates and the occasional piece of food that was on the ground.

A large warm hand wrapped itself around mine and pulled the trash bag from my grasp.I felt Cameron's bare chest against my back and his breath was tickling the back of my neck. "Just leave it sweetheart, come to bed" He whispered in my ear before gently kissing the nape of my neck. I sighed and leaned back into him before nodding my head. I really couldn't say no to him, and my feet were killing me at the moment.

Cameron climbed into his bed and watched as I slipped out of my black dress and matching heels, and slipped one of his large t-shirts over my head. I climbed into the bed, and curled up in his open arms. His warmth was intoxicating and I felt myself falling into sleep quicker than I imagined. But Cameron's voice kept me awake a little longer.

"Did you mean what you told my mother?" Cameron asked me. His fingers were once again running through my hair, and I let a soft moan escape my mouth as he worked his fingers worked magic on my scalp. I opened my eyes slowly to see him staring down at me. The moonlight coming in through his large window was the only light in the room, but I could see his flawless features perfectly.

"What part?" I asked, snuggling farther into his arms.

"When you told her you loved me"

I felt my body stiffen as I had almost forgotten he had heard that part, I nodded my head and kissed him softly on the lips. "I meant every word" I whispered before kissing his shoulder and laying my head on top of it. Cameron's lips found their way to my neck and he gently kissed up and down my collarbone before his lips found my ear.

"It took me a long time to realize it, but I love you too Avery. I have for a very long time" He whispered in my ear. And I couldn't help the ridiculous grin that appeared on my face. The words I have been longing to hear for so long, finally escaped his perfect mouth. I loved him with everything in me, and the fact that he loved me back made me realize things in my life were finally coming together.