Secrets and Rules?

Chapter Three: Secrets and Rules?

*~*~*~*

After lunch, Arthur found himself watching as Ginny talked to 'Lu' about something in the living room while he and Molly remained at the kitchen table. Fred, George, and Ron had all gone off outside as soon as they had finished their lunches while Percy had retreated back into his room. There was something 'Lu' that seemed familiar to the man, though he couldn't place what it was. Just the fact that she had managed to apparate was confusing to him, for it was something that was only taught to sixth year students and she didn't look any older than fourteen, at the most.

"What are you thinking?" Molly asked her husband, not failing to miss the thoughtful look in his eyes.

"I'm thinking that it might be smart to ask Dumbledore to pay us a visit." Arthur informed his wife. "He might be able to calm her down enough to actually get some answers from her."

"At least she seems to be getting along with Ginny alright," Molly smile softly at the sight of the two girls as they started to play a game of chess. Arthur couldn't argue with that, but he had also noticed that Lu hadn't laughed at any of the jokes that the boys had told and had barely smiled. She seemed to be afraid of the smallest movement and sound. Not to mention that she tried to speak as little as possible. It hurt him to see a girl so young being so fearful of everything around her.

"Why is it so hot?" Ron complained as he and the twins came in through the kitchen door.

"It's summer Ron, what else would you expect?" Ginny scoffed at her brother's words as she and Embry joined everyone in the kitchen. As she walked into the kitchen, Embry made sure to take in every detail, subconsciously making an escape route.

"Why don't you all go swimming in the lake?" Molly suggested.

"We shall!" The twins said in union before running up the stairs, Ron right behind them. Ginny went after them, but stopped at the bottom of the stairs when she realized that Embry hadn't moved from where she stood in the doorway of the kitchen. A look of pure fear written clearly across her features.

"Are you okay?" Arthur asked, only earning a small nod in response.

"You don't have to swim," Ginny caught on to the other girl's worries, offering her a reassuring smile. "You can just sit on the rocks and stick your feet in if you want."

"I'll wait here." Embry spoke just loud enough for Ginny to hear, watching as redheaded girl took off up the stairs to change.

"Would you like anything to drink or eat?" Molly offered, her eyes constantly scanning over the girl's thin frame.

"No thank you, ma'am." Embry shook her head, pulling at the sleeves of the turtleneck she was wearing until they covered her hands. For several more minutes the three stood around the kitchen in an awkward silence, none of them knowing what to say. It almost seemed to be a relief when the four children came running back down the stairs in their swimsuits, ready to leave.

*~*~*~*

Embry trailed behind the others as they headed off to whatever lake Molly had mentioned before. She had to admit that she felt better knowing that she wouldn't have to swim, though she had to admit that Molly had been right earlier. She quickly found herself sweating her clothes, the sun baking down on them.

"Here we are!" Ginny exclaimed just as the lake came into view. The boys wasted no time running towards the water and jumping in. Ginny and Embry walked behind them, making their way to the edge of the water where Ginny slipped in while the brunette sat on the edge. She slipped off her flats to dip her feet into the water, hoping it would provide her some relief from the heat.

"Can you swim?" George asked the girl as he and Fred swam over to the girls, Ginny having settled in the shallow water to stay near Embry. Embry only shrugged as she looked up at the clear sky. Everything about her surroundings seemed so peaceful, yet she couldn't help but worry about her parents. Would they find her there?

"Lu!" Fred's shouting snapped Embry from her thoughts, making her look back at the three redheads gathered around her. "Do you have a name that you'll actually respond to without us having to yell it?"

"Not one that I'll say," she spoke honestly.

"Why not?" Ginny frowned at her answer. "You can trust us."

"Your father wants to turn me over to the Ministry," Embry could see their eyes widen at her words, none of them having realized she had been awake when their parents were talking earlier. "I wasn't asleep for that long."

"You're good," George gave her a small round of applause, impressed. "But if you haven't noticed our dad has grown somewhat fond of you in just the past hour or so that you've been awake. I'm pretty sure he isn't even considering turning you over anymore."

"For once in his life, I believe that my older brother is right." Ginny grinned as George splashed her with water, resulting in it hitting Embry as well. The brunette only rolled her eyes at the boy's antics. She stared down at the wet spot on her clothes, imagining it dry. In just a matter of seconds she watched as the water left the clothes, gathering before her in the air before it hit George in the face.

"You used magic!" Fred's eyes went wide at what he'd just witnessed.

"So?" Embry's brows furrowed in confusion.

"Lu, it's illegal to use magic under the age of seventeen unless you're in school," Ginny informed the older girl. "If you do then the Ministry finds out and comes after you."

"They haven't before," Embry shrugged. "I've used it four times just today and nothing's happened."

"Why not?" George frowned.