Chapter 5

Those stupid birds.....Cassidy groaned and then realized that if she could hear them then she must still be alive. She fought to open her eyes. She slowly peeled them open over her dried eyes. Cassidy... didn't really feel anything. Maybe whatever Owen had given her was still in her system.

The room was lit by faint red glow from the east facing window, and Cassidy figured it was dawn the next morning. Cassidy grabbed a side of the self she was handcuffed to and used it to pull herself into a sitting position. Her arms and legs felt like jelly.

Maybe she should just go back to sleep......

No, if it was dawn that means that Owen could be coming in soon, and she'd already been unconscious in front of him for an entire night. Cassidy quickly scanned herself, but it didn't seem that anything had happened to her. Her clothes weren't wrinkled or torn. She spared a glance for her roommate, but in the faint light she could barely make out the lump on the ground a few feet ahead of her.

Sighing she stretched out her legs, trying to regain some feeling in them.

"Eek!" There was something on the ground! Something sticky, and Cassidy had just put her foot in it. Her heart racing she looked closer at the lump on the ground......

A dark liquid seeped out from the tarp. It shined dully in the light of dawn. Cassidy was jerked from her murky state by a jump of adrenaline. Suddenly the pungent smell of blood invaded her nostrils, and she wondered how she'd ever missed it.

Cassidy started dry heaving, without enough awareness to even think of using the bucket. Oh my gosh, she...she was dead.

Wiping the liquid around her mouth she tried to calm her breathing. Owen killed her, murdered her....and Cassidy was next..... Who's to say he wouldn't do it this morning.... She needed to leave. If she stayed here she'd be killed!

Cassidy whipped her head around looking for anything she could use to escape. But her eyes kept being drawn to the corpse lying next to her. Oh my god.

The squeak of the shed door reverberated through the room and sent tremors through Cassidy's body. She was convinced that she was going to die, that this was it. Now hyperventilating, Cassidy wrapped her arms around her legs, in a state of utter terror and shock. She felt him walk up to her.....He was standing right there....

"Calm down, you're breathing is annoying." Cassidy tried to do what he said. She counted out the seconds, in for three out for five. Finally she managed to regain normal breathing. In some depraved part of her mind she felt gratitude towards Owen in that moment. He'd been the only person who'd ever helped calm her down before.

Cassidy sat up, catching her breath, while Owen bent down over the blood covered tarp.

"She wasn't very nice was she.... No, she was a bitch, thought she was better than everyone. Still.....I was planning on killing you first. Ever since I saw you taking pictures of me a few weeks ago...I've wanted to kill you. But she had to go first...yeah." Turned and looked away as Owen lifted the tarp off of the corpse. Cassidy started to gag again, the stench of blood becoming unbearable. Cassidy heard the shuffle of the tarp from behind her tightly closed eyelids.

"The least you can do is look at her." Owen had grabbed Cassidy's head and thrust it towards where the corpse laid. "Open your eyes," he ordered softly. Lip quivering, Cassidy did as she was told.

The sight was indescribably gruesome. Cassidy noticed several missing appendages, and her undergarments hung off her, ripped and bloody. But her face.

It was mangled beyond recognition. Her eyes were no longer distinguishable among the fleshy ruins. The rage that Owen must have felt to commit such atrocity seemed to seep through Cassidy's skin and chilled her to the bone. Suddenly the hand that held her head in place felt like the claws of a savage beast.

"I could do this to you," Owen whispered in her ear. He wrapped his hand around her neck from behind. "Or I could just squeeze." He tightened his grip. Then he released her abruptly, and Cassidy flung her head away from the corpse. Sitting up against the metal self she eyed Owen wearily.

Owen crouched over Cassidy, and leaned forward. He gazed into her eyes like one would look at an insect in a jar. An object hardly worth any notice, but you'd spare a bit of curiosity for the creature. Owen cupped Cassidy's chin and leaned in further, until their lips met.

A kiss? She thought vaguely. She thought about all those times when she had wished her boys would kiss her, show her their love. Because that's what it was, wasn't it? To kiss was to love, right? And Owen was kissing her.... Not to firmly, but warm..... It was better than Cassidy could've dreamed...

Then Owen pulled back while maintaining his indifferent expression. He wiped his mouth with the back of his hand. Cassidy could feel the heat in her cheeks. She brought her own fingers to her lips and touched them softly, trying to make sense of what had just happened.

"You're a little cuter when you're blushing," Owen said aloofly. He reached his large hands out and cupped Cassidy's cheek tenderly. She leaned into his hand slightly and smiled at him. But he didn't return it. "You're still a little creep though. Guess no amount of kissing or blushing will change that." Cassidy's face fell. She should've known it was too good to be true. There was no way he'd ever love her like this.

Owen straightened up and stretched out his well toned body. Yawning he replaced the tarp over the body and heaved it over his shoulder and he left without another word.

Cassidy felt a wave of conflicting emotions wash over her, and before she knew it she was crying heavily. On one hand she knew this is wasn't right, and that Owen was insane. But he'd kissed her and it had just felt so nice....But then Cassidy looked at the floor..

Though the corpse was gone there was still a sizable puddle of sticky blood where it had laid. It effectively snapped her out of whatever kind of daze she was in. She had to escape before she became just another stain on Owen's floor.

Cassidy searched the room for items to aid her with an increased vigor. There was something that hadn't been there the days before, a blood covered hack saw that laid a few feet in front of her. Cassidy gulped but knew what she was going to do.

A/N Urg these chapters are so short. I'm sorry but I've been busy and I wanted to make sure I kept writing, and I'm afraid if I start writing longer chapters I'll lose motivation and just stop halfway :/

Vote/Comment/whatever you want and just generally let me know what you thought....I am an anxious person who craves validation sooo... Haha jk(kind of) Love y'all