Chapter 9

A/N: Comment/vote/share and enjoy!

Pain was not an unfamiliar feeling for Cassidy Harper. Whether it be the emotional pain and trauma of the death of her parents or her uncle's abuse, or even the excruciating gnawing of a famished stomach, she had experienced her fair share of it.

But the pain of a crushed ankle and a shattered tibia and fibula was more than she could bear. When she woke up the first time, all she could think about was the fire consuming her lower half and the beast devouring her mind.

For a while it seemed all she could do was whine and moan in misery. Any food Owen tried to give her was ignored or thrown up. She became feverish and delirious.

After Cassidy had attempted to bite her own injured hand Owen force fed her food and medicine. It helped, but only enough. But eventually Cassidy was able to take in her surroundings as she woke.

The first thing she noticed is that she was in the Tarp Room, but she was on a different side than the self. Cassidy glanced to her left and observed the self and the little window that had been boarded up. That explained why the room was so dark.

Looking down she realized that she had been stripped down into her undergarments. Cassidy felt the waves of pain wash over her and she tried to shift into a sitting position. She weakly licked her lips, chapped and desperate for moisture.

When she moved her hands to push herself up Cassidy noticed an unnatural weight. Looking down she saw that both of her hands were chained. They were chained with the same loop that was resting on a metal fixture on the wall far above her head.

Raising her arms, Cassidy tried to slide the chain off the fixture, but the chain had too much slack and the fixture had an upward twist at the end, like a candy cane.

A chilly breeze came through the room and sent shivers through Cassidy. She felt very self conscious about her lack of clothing. Looking down she noticed her ribs, that had always been prominent, were very pronounced. In fact, she could easily count them.

Eyes traveling further, Cassidy glanced at her legs. It made her sick to her stomach.

Her left ankle was swollen to twice it's size and it seemed to be less of a bone and more of a lumpy baseball hidden under her skin. But the skin was a mixture of horrible shades of black and blue. Looking to her right leg she nearly screamed.

Cassidy's calf looked like someone had filled it with water, like a balloon. But she noticed, in several spots, there were pieces of bone that raised the skin and threatened to break through. It was a sickening, blotchy red and black.

Cassidy swallowed the bile that had risen in her throat. One thing was for sure, she wouldn't be walking anytime soon....

Some time later, when the sliver of light seen through the boarded window turned a blood red, the shed door creaked open. When Owen emerged from behind the tarp he looked....good.

He was wearing some kind of tank top that displayed his muscles and exercise pants to compliment. Owen's brown hair was fluffy, and he smelled of vanilla.

"See something you like?" He teased distastefully. Cassidy quickly looked down at her hands. She clenched and unclenched them as she heard Owen move around the room. Then suddenly he was kneeling right in front of her. Cassidy's breath caught in her throat in anticipation.

But all he did was use the back of his hand to check her forehead.

"I guess your fever's gone down. I thought you were actually dying. You probably would've if I hadn't treated you. What do you say?"