Chapter 14

As Cassidy was carried through the house, she was sure she was going to die. She had pushed Owen too far, and now he was going to snuff her out. But was that so bad? Dying, being killed... at least everything would be over after that. She wouldn't have to live with Owen or her aunt... She just wouldn't have to live at all.

After the many blows she'd received, Cassidy surroundings were veiled in a heavy fog. But the bright lighting sending pain through her head... the cool tile against her cheek... the far off sound of running water... She was in the bathroom.

Groaning, and with much effort, she forced her eyelids open a crack. Owen was kneeling by the bathtub, fiddling with the nobs, partly obscured by the steam that rose from the water. Cassidy attempted to sit up, but she couldn't lift her heavy head from the floor. She couldn't believe it... Was Owen actually going to give her a warm bath?

He had to furious... All those things that she'd said to him... Cassidy was positive Owen has killed people for less.

'Although,' Cassidy thought as a shiver ran through her. 'A warm bath would be nice right now.' Cassidy's eyes weakly followed Owen as he straightened up.

"You're such a pathetic, stupid girl." Owen spoke, more to himself than Cassidy. With one swift motion Owen lifted Cassidy and dumped her unceremoniously in the tub. As her head hit the back of the tub, another wave of pain shot through her brain, sending her panicked thoughts careening through her mind. But one thing registered through this dizzying disorder, heat.

It was so hot... Burning, it was burning her!

Gasping, Cassidy threw her head above the water in a scramble to leave the bathtub full of scalding water.

"Oh no you don't," Owen said, roughly shoving Cassidy back into the water. Unable to get a full breath, Cassidy's lungs protested as burning water filled her nose and mouth. After a brief moment Owen lifted his hand from her chest, and Cassidy rose above the water level. Cassidy coughed violently trying to expel the boiling liquid that had found it's way into her lungs. The skin on her limbs felt as though it was melting off.

Once again Owen violently submerged Cassidy, firmly holding her to the bottom of the tub. Squirming, kicking, and grasping at Owen's arms Cassidy fought in a blind panic. Just as it seemed she would finally, blissfully be wrapped in the arms of oblivion Owen lifted her out of the water, and she instinctively filled her lungs with the steamy air surrounding her. Her wild, animal-like gaze locked onto her tormentors face, as it twisted into a perverted grin.

Without a shred of remorse, still looking into Cassidy's eyes, and with a bark of laughter Owen once again pushed her beneath the surface, and the torture began again. Lungs burning with a desperate plea for air, Cassidy began her struggle again. But soon her movement slowed as her vision collapsed in, and she felt herself slipping away. As her head rest against the smooth basin, she knew she should just be glad it was all ending, but a large part of her was still fighting, fighting for a chance, a breath, even though it meant Owen.

'I don't want to die!' Cassidy thought panically. 'I don't want to die. I... don't... want... to-'

'Die!' The thought rang out through her mind like a gunshot, accompanied by pain that rolled over her like violent waves. Next, Cassidy began to cough and gasp, once again filling her aching lungs with what they craved. When her breathing became manageable she cracked open her eyes. The room seemed too bright, and her head hurt so much, but she had to try. Cassidy forced her eyelids open and looked around. Through her still foggy vision, she discerned she was still in the bathroom, lying face up next to the tub on flooded tile.

With much difficulty Cassidy turned her head to look at the other side of the bathroom. The door was cracked open, water seeping over the frame to the hallway beyond. Lifting her eyes off ground level she flinched when she met the eyes of that monster. Deep blue eyes stared, but thankfully they were devoid of both anger and sadistic pleasure. Instead the eyes studied her showing only a slight interest in the drenched girl lying there. However, Cassidy noticed that he too was quite wet, the front of his clothes dark with obvious moisture.