Chapter 6

Hello, my most esteemed (however few in number) readers! Thanks so much for sticking with my story so far, and there's plenty more to come so buckle up!

Comment/Vote/Share 

Cassidy spent the rest of the day straining to hear anything that would signify that Owen had left; the slamming of a door, the starting of a car, the faint crunch of gravel. But she didn't hear any of this. However, she could very clearly hear her stomach churn in protest due to lack of food. She nearly cried out of frustration when the sun started sinking, and she knew that she'd probably missed her chance.

There was no way to be sure that Owen wouldn't take the hacksaw with him when he left tonight, but Cassidy couldn't just give up. She used her feet to drag the saw over to her, and then, with her free hand, she stowed the saw under the shelf behind where she sat.

It was quite possible that Owen would find the saw and know what Cassidy had been planning. But after seeing what he did to Tarp Girl, Cassidy couldn't stick around there any longer. Owen was a psycho, a loose cannon, and if he went off she'd be done for.

Due to these factors, when Cassidy heard the shed door open, she felt a hand wrap around her heart. She gulped in uncomfortable anticipation.

Owen entered wearing a standard black tee-shirt and jeans. His brown hair was wet and slicked back, and his skin still held the shine of a recent shower. He smelled of body wash and mint.

Instinctively Cassidy searched his arms for any cans of food, but today he had even more than that. Cassidy spotted a wad of newspapers stuffed under one arm, and a damp towel draped over his shoulder. Without looking her in the eye, Owen flung the towel over her.

"You can wipe your face and hands with this," he said as he spread out the newspaper on the nearby table. Cassidy did as she was told, and she scrubbed her skin raw trying to pry away the layers of dirt and sweat. Only once the towel has gotten several shades darker with grime did Owen take the towel away and hand her her meal.

Cassidy shoveled it down, allowing the chicken broth to drip from her chin.

"Hey! I just let you wash your face. Don't be going and getting it messy again!" Owen raised his voice to scold Cassidy. She looked up apprehensively, pausing in her feasting. Sighing again Owen bent down and grabbed the half empty can from her hands. Cassidy made a noise of protest, but before she could say anything Owen had flung the rest of the contents of the can at her.

"Ack!" she squealed, now covered in creamy soup. Owen dropped the can next to her and bent down to her level.

"If you're not going to use your manners, then you don't get to eat at all." Cassidy nodded frantically. Straightening up again, Owen grabbed the newspapers from the table, and flung them in front of her:

"Drunk Drivers Kill Young Mother and Children"

"Horrifying Scandal; Molestation in the Home of Cities Finest"

"Mr. Banes Sentenced to Life in Prison For Molestation"

"You've had a depressing life, huh?" Cassidy stared in horror as memories flooded back to her. One in particular was the night that her aunt found out about what her uncle had done....

"Peter couldn't have done that. Cassidy is lying." Her aunt stood firmly in the doorway, blocking police officers waiting to enter. Little Cassidy stood timidly behind her aunt. "Tell them Cassidy, tell them you're lying."

"Ma'am we already have the warrant. Please let us in quietly, and this will be over soon. We're not 'arresting' him per say. We just need to take your husband down to the station."