Chapter 12

A/N Hey so some pretty mature content coming up so heads up if you're not comfortable reading sexual content.

Owen seemed like a completely different person the next day. Later in the morning he arrived to take her to breakfast. He had fixed them both waffles, and she again ate with him at the table. Cassidy smiled into her food, thinking about how nice he was to do this for her, and her mind wandered to last night.

"What are you smiling for?" Cassidy blushed and thought of what to say.

"H-how nice yesterday was..." Owen leaned on his hands casually and smiled sweetly.

"Yeah, my mom and I used to have the best Thanksgivings. I always loved the parade the most, but my mom was a sucker for old timey christmas movies. My dad usually worked, until he got laid off of course, so it was just me and my mom. What about you?"

"Oh, they weren't... anything special... My aunt and her boyfriend went out, but they didn't like taking me out. Once a neighbor brought me over some turkey, and that was nice I guess." As she spoke Cassidy absentmindedly placed her fingers in her mouth and started softly biting down.

"Now why do you have to do that?" Cassidy looked up.

"What?" she asked quietly.

"Biting." Owen was scowling now, and Cassidy's breath caught in her throat. "It's stupid and it looks fucking gross."

"I-I'm s-sorry... I just-" Owen stood up suddenly, and Cassidy flung her arms over her face, expecting a blow. But Owen just moved over to the pantry, and brought over the first aid box. Gently he wrapped a bandage around each individual finger. When Owen was finished he smiled at her again.

"Now you can't bite them, right?" Shocked, Cassidy nodded.

"So do you like the pain? You a masochist or something?" Hastily Cassidy shook her head.

"No! T-that's no it... I just... need it. It helps me calm down..." Owen leaned towards Cassidy as he gently took her chin in his hand.

"You've had it rough, but it's okay now. I can calm you down now, and you won't have to bite yourself." This man... Cassidy had never felt reassurance or affection like this before. He really is the sweetest...

A time passed, a calm time for Cassidy. She was able to stay warm in her room, Owen didn't make her clean, and she was able to eat as much as she wanted at dinner. He didn't hit or yell. Owen would help her shower and change. Her outfit still consisted of Owen's large shirts and boxers, but they were clean.

Once Cassidy thought about asking if she could wear the clothes in the basement, but considered differently when she remembered their origins. It was easy to forget Owen's more displeasing side when he was caring for you as sweetly as one would their child.

However, one night Cassidy heard a woman's screams pierce through the night. A few hours before this Owen had said that he'd be home late, and at that moment she knew why. Cassidy never heard those screams again, and the thought of that woman slipped from her mind soon enough.

Afternoon sun fell into the room from the window, reflecting off the dust particles it gave the appearance of a light snow falling. The old, dusty room felt warm and comforting on this cold winter's day. Cassidy sat on her sleeping bag reading from a book Owen had brought her.

It was an old, tattered thing that he'd found lying around. The story was about a young girl on a farm during the Dust Bowl. Not a particularly uplifting story, but Cassidy enjoyed the entertainment nonetheless.